Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need some advice please!  the way things are lining up >

need some advice please! the way things are lining up

need some advice please! the way things are lining up

Old 03-18-2015, 11:17 AM

I agree let her have it. I have 2 quilts that I bought years ago and were well loved before I got them. When I'm having a bad day I wrap them around me and watch some mindless TV. Works everytime
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 AM

Finish the quilt and give it to your daughter. My kids love ANY quilt that I make for them. I am working on a special quilt for a friend right now, and have had to search through my stash for pieces of odd colored fabrics to make a few more blocks to make the quilt super king size for her bed. I found some, and made the blocks, but they don't make me happy enough to leave them in the quilt (even though I have it almost completely pieced together). So, guess what I did today? I went to the LQS, and bought about $20 worth of fabrics to re-make all those squares (which means taking the ones out of the pieced work) and will be re-doing them. Dread, dread, dread. But, it needs to be done--and she will appreciate it when I give it to her. It is just going to take me a lot longer to finish it for her.

Our saying goes "on a galloping horse who's going to notice"....but, who on a galloping horse is going to notice mistakes in a quilt????
Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice!!! You all are great! I just need to lighten up and realize that I quilt because it makes me happy. My daughter likes it now so I am sure she will like the finished project even better. Thank you for giving me the inspiration to get back at it!
Old 03-18-2015, 04:41 PM

I'm glad to see that you're going to finish the quilt. Remember, the person you give a quilt to doesn't know how it was "supposed" to look - just how it does look when they see it for the first time.

Tate
Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 PM

"I am so unhappy with the way things are lining up I feel like trashing it and beginning again. I realize what I did wrong when piecing the quilt, so I know I can do a better job next time. ... I keep seeing my mistakes and now I can't seem to get back into this project."

This is pretty much how I feel about every quilt after awhile. It's so much fun in the beginning, but I eventually get bored and unhappy with every little imperfection. I end up having to force myself to finish, and then I'm in love with it again.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Finish it an give it to her. You will be amazed at how different a quilt looks after it is actually finished. I ripped so many seams out making it that I worried it would have holes worn in it when it was washed. I also cried my eyes out because it looked so bad, however, after it was quilted I was thrilled at how it turned out.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laura Perdue View Post
I have been following you all for quite a while and have learned so many things and seen so many pretty quilts. I have been quilting for fun for years, I usually give away my quilts to family members. Last summer

I had my daughter pick out a quilt kit and have been working on it for awhile, but when I started to put it together I am so unhappy with the way things are lining up I feel like trashing it and beginning again.I realize what I did wrong when piecing the quilt, so I know I can do a better job next time.

However, when my daughter saw it, she loved it. I pointed out a few mistakes, and she said she never would have noticed them. However, I keep seeing my mistakes and now I can't seem to get back into this project. Has any one else had this problem? If so, how did you get yourself to quit focusing on the mistakes?
Well, her quilt will be unique. She is more charmed by the colors and the love in it. That says alot for how she feels about you. Nope, don't see the mistake in that quilt.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM

Because we know every stitch that goes into our quilts, we are sometimes too critical of ourselves. Finish the quilt and give it to her. If she loves it now, she will love it even more when you've finished. I have two quilts. One each from my two grandmothers. Yes there are mistakes and some of the colors are just plain ugly but, they are special to me because of who made them. I sometimes run my hands over those quilts when they are on the bed and think about the time my grannies spent on making them. Every stitch, a stitch of love.