Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on squaring pre printed panel

I've never found a panel that's not crooked. Good luck!

You might consider doing them like the happy scrappy houses and deliberately make them wonky like the houses.

http://quiltville.com/happyscrappyhouses.shtml
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Blog Entries
    I had the very same problem with the Boy Scout quilt I made for my grandson (see the picture section of the board). The only thing that I could do is sash them. Yep, they were still off but the sashing helped make it not so noticable. My first and last project using cut-apart pre-printed panels.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Starching is supposed to help but I have knowdest that when you do starch and iron the fabric does seem to shift more due to the moisture. You might want to watch how you iron (more of a pressing movement of up and down. and not a back and forth glide).

Banned
    block them as you would a sweater. Wet the blocks and pin onto a square, stretching to make them square. This is the only way I know to square up the fabric that has been printed crooked. Let dry and if still not squared you might want to discard. Or cut the printed border off and add another. There is less notice if the printed border is cut off.

I would set them deliberately off-kilter in the corners of your design and have a straight center block achieved by sashing it. I love your fabric - good luck!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    I've never found a panel that's not crooked. Good luck!
    Me either and it is sure frustrating. I make a lot of Hospice lap quilts from them and just do my best to make it look good.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I would cut the whole border off, too, and make a new border. That would work.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

In my HS home ec class eons ago, when we started with a piece of fabric that was off kilter, we stretched it both ways on the opposing corners until it was straight. It should not hurt it to do that unless the printing is all on top of the fabric and might crack (I've encountered some like this - more of a decal than printing). Most panels are printed in such a way that the color penetrates the fabric about half way rather than just sitting on top of the fabric.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    I had the very same problem with the Boy Scout quilt I made for my grandson (see the picture section of the board). The only thing that I could do is sash them. Yep, they were still off but the sashing helped make it not so noticable. My first and last project using cut-apart pre-printed panels.
    I had the same problem with a large patriotic design panel....I cut off some sections and tried everything everyone has suggested, but still ended up doing what Val in IN suggests. I used sashing that subtly creates a "squared" look. When the quilt is hanging on the design wall, it definitely still looks a little off. But once it's a quilt in someone's lap, who will notice?

BTW, what I had the most success with was pinning the wet panel to a board that my mother used to use to square her needlepoint. It was sort of like an extra-thick fiber board. Got it as square as I could then sprayed starch on it and worked it in thoroughly. Took a couple of days to dry in our humid climate, but it definitely helped more than anything else.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast