Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need some advice on squaring pre printed panel

Power Poster
    I've learned - by buying crappy panels - to check to see if the 'squares' are printed more or less on grain before buying the panels now.

I'm sure the other shoppers think I'm strange folding the fabric back and scrutinizing the weave, but - oh, well - I'm old(er) now and have gotten a LOT more selective.

I had 4 large panels that were not square and HAD to be because I was fracturing them. I basically beat them into submission!!

Wet them thoroughly with water/starch mix. Pin them out on a grid and force them into square. Then ... wait for them to dry.

My panels were about 2' wide and 3.5' long and I drew a grid on my carpet (it's those carpet squares with a very very low "loft" - almost flat) with chalk. I first pulled on opposite corners of the panel to stretch it into shape as much as I could, then I then used the grid to insert pins through the fabric and into the carpet to hold it in place - working the shortest opposite corners first and working my way evenly across the horizontal and vertical straights. I used LOTS of pins.

It did work but word of caution ... do not handle them too much once you pick them up. Do not iron them again. Sew them immediately.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I have purchased panels in the past and NEVER could get them to square up. Think I am done with panels.
    ranbro

I would just add a border, then square it.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I'd give up on it. Or give up squaring since the pattern was printed off grainline, you'll NEVER be able to get it square.
    I'd had the same problem.
    SandyQuilter

Blog Entries
    Thank you Prism99. This is amazing how she resizes those blocks.

Thee and me! I love panels, which are rarely square no matter what you pay for them or the quilt shop from which you buy them. I pick a generous width for sashing, say three and half inches, sash each section of the panel and then square the block. Then I deliberately offset the sections, using what one author calls "coping strips"--and put the whole thing together like a jigsaw puzzle. It works for me and so far the quilt police have not rung my doorbell! froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Okay, take this from an "older" beginning quilter with a grain of salt but I have become very adept at fixing my "creative errors" and I think you could square them up by re-sashing them with a similar color (blue at the top and cream at the bottom) like a narrow 1 inch for one suggestion; or by putting triangles in the corners to make them a less "wonky". Make pieced sashes in rectangles or triangles of similar colors from the panel to go on and then add a single lighter or darker color for the next sash. OR tip them at an angle on the quilt highlighting with larger triangles. Now remember, I have been quilting for only 1 1/2 years and I have been creative when I find errors in fabric. Hope maybe these ideas will help. Next time (don't ask me how I know this ;-) take a square in the fabric store and make sure the panels are square or ask the company online that you are ordering them from if they are square!!!! I have learned a lot over this past year and a half. Good luck!!!!

Not funny. I bought the same panel. Had the same problem. I also cut them. Was making me so mad. Jumped in my truck,took them right back to fabric store. Gave me my money back. I even took my ruler with me to prove to the how off they were. Take them back even though you cut them.

I think I would make it off square on purpose. I took a class on twisted nine patch and we cut rectangles the length of the square blocks plus the width of the rectangle, then cut them on the diagonal and added them to the blocks. You have to only sew half of the seam on the first side, add the othe three, then finish sewing that first seam. They looked really cute almost like they danced across the quilt. As I recall the rectangle width was 3 inches. Hope that makes sense. Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    I've never found a panel that's not crooked. Good luck!
    Me, too. I like using panels but just know going in that they're gonna be funky. I always sash them & then square up via the sashing. Wonky is another option.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I would sash them with 2.5" strips the put the squares so they are square against the ruler grid and trim the sashing. It will make for wonky sashing, but your blocks will look square and straight. Lots of blocks are sashed wonky with sashing as a design choice. http://cjsews.blogspot.com/2010/04/t...y-sashing.html gives a great tutorial on this subject.

I suggest framing, too. I cut a bunch of blocks too small once, and just added some frames to them...can't tell where my boo-boos are!

Thanks everyone!! I will see what comes of this wonky project! giggle
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

I think this particular panel was printed for individual blocks.
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Faced the same problem with some pre-printed Asian themed panels a while ago. Ended up trimming the panel sashings to 1/4" and adding new sashings -- think I started with about a 2" strip, and then cut those all to a uniform size. Cannot be seen in the finished product, and since they were square in the top, the quilt came out square too. Good luck -- the fabric is very pretty and should make a fine quilt.

The fun for me is to fix my creative errors to make it look right. You may want to add another border around each piece to square it off.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    I have tried a few panels, all with the same wonky problem. Makes me crazy to try to them square up--so I gave up and don't buy them anymore!

Had the same problem with a panel I was using. What I finally ended up doing was laying each panel on my cutting board and focused on getting the design of the panel as straight as I could. Then using my 12 1/2 inch square template, I lined up a line on the template with a line on the cutting board and cut the fabric. That left me with an edge I knew was square or at least pretty close to square. Using that edge, I rotated the material, lined up my straight edge on the cutting board, lined up my square template on the straight edge and made my second cut. I repeated this until all four sides were done. I then used 2.5 inch strips to frame each side of the panel. I was then able to use them in my quilt. Good luck! It was a very frustrating situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2