Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Need strip widths for making tape with bias bars

  1. #11
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte625
    all I can say ......is wow!
    your wall hangings are awesome.
    I tried my hand at Stained glass on my window
    and decided...I don't have a steady enough hand
    and with fabric ...I might have to try some day.
    Be sure to post when your done I will be looking forward to seeing them.
    I'll probably post some in progress photos in the next couple weeks. Took a couple on what I'm working on now with a diaposable camera. Right now I'm working on tracing the images into butcher paper. Each of my images span across nine sheets of paper taped together and they turned out slightly pixely when enlarged. So I'm tracing them to clean up the linework and so that they're not on a bunch of sheets taped together. I've started on Nabooru the Spirit Sage and I've put about four or five hours into it...I'm only just almost halfway done! lol.

  2. #12
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,509
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    The 1/8 would be cut at 3/8 .... what I had done with making the bias for my Celtic block ... was to cut a strip from card stock or 3x5 card at 3/8 and placed in the middle of the 3/8 cut and iron each side to the center. Making the 1/8 bias....

    I am not sure what to tell you for the 3/16.... 5/16 and do the same I am guessing.

    I used the mini iron by Clover to press my bias. Used a small ironing mat and sat and ironed away. I cut my bias from fat quarters/ you get quite a bit from one.

    You may find it easier to work with short pieces than a really long one. Hide your starts and stops at a point where it is covered by an overpass or under another bias piece. I hope that makes sense.
    It makes sense. But there's longer pieces of leading that are uninterupted and can't be worked in smaller pieces.

    Here's an example of what I mean. This is the Ruto window I was talking about a couple posts ago. I marked some of the longer pieces of leading (I did miss marking her other arm). The leading I marked in red is the one I measured to be more than 40". Its 3/16" leading and I wonder if I pieced two strips together to get the desired length if the seam from joining them together would create too much bulk since the bias tape will be so thin.

    [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/RutoLINE.png[/IMG]
    Ok ,,,, Here is what I see: Or a question of what I see :)

    The red lines are continuous... ok but is it red around the face?

    If not, you can do the red in two pieces... if I am seeing right.. and even if it is red around the face.... You can do each side up to the top of her head and the part that goes around her face (head) will cover the end piece of the other... do you see what I mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #13
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,509
    Blog Entries
    3
    And if you are saying each piece for the side of her and her face/head are each 40" of bias... then work with three 40" pieces :) I don't think you will need to seam if done as such.

    Sharon :)

  4. #14
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    The 1/8 would be cut at 3/8 .... what I had done with making the bias for my Celtic block ... was to cut a strip from card stock or 3x5 card at 3/8 and placed in the middle of the 3/8 cut and iron each side to the center. Making the 1/8 bias....

    I am not sure what to tell you for the 3/16.... 5/16 and do the same I am guessing.

    I used the mini iron by Clover to press my bias. Used a small ironing mat and sat and ironed away. I cut my bias from fat quarters/ you get quite a bit from one.

    You may find it easier to work with short pieces than a really long one. Hide your starts and stops at a point where it is covered by an overpass or under another bias piece. I hope that makes sense.
    It makes sense. But there's longer pieces of leading that are uninterupted and can't be worked in smaller pieces.

    Here's an example of what I mean. This is the Ruto window I was talking about a couple posts ago. I marked some of the longer pieces of leading (I did miss marking her other arm). The leading I marked in red is the one I measured to be more than 40". Its 3/16" leading and I wonder if I pieced two strips together to get the desired length if the seam from joining them together would create too much bulk since the bias tape will be so thin.

    [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/RutoLINE.png[/IMG]
    Ok ,,,, Here is what I see: Or a question of what I see :)

    The red lines are continuous... ok but is it red around the face?

    If not, you can do the red in two pieces... if I am seeing right.. and even if it is red around the face.... You can do each side up to the top of her head and the part that goes around her face (head) will cover the end piece of the other... do you see what I mean?
    No, no, no, no. The leading is all black. I just marked the continuous lines in a different color so I could better show where.

  5. #15
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    And if you are saying each piece for the side of her and her face/head are each 40" of bias... then work with three 40" pieces :) I don't think you will need to seam if done as such.

    Sharon :)
    The side fins measured 45" and around her head was 34". Give or take. But Ruto isn't the only one I'm working on. There are 7 similar designs each with at least a couple long leading.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pratt Kansas
    Posts
    852
    Blog Entries
    3
    somewhere I saw how you make a continuous bias strip out of 1 yd of fabric.

    Hmm trying to think it out. Maybe if you started with a longer length of fabric, the same as the WOF, you are going to use it all anyway, on your various projects.

    cut the selvedges off your fabric. cut fabric in half diagonally.

    now you have 2 "half squares" sew them together into a diamond, you know, the straight edges of the left one forms the left side of a "T", the right one forms an "L". sew the up & down edges together. The bias edges are to the left & right.

    now bring the other straight edges together into a tube, offset it the amount you are cutting. So there's a leading "rabbit ear" and a trailing Rabbit ear, both the width you want to cut. you cut along the first bias edge, and end up at the trailing rabbit ear bias edge.

    cut it on the width you want. The cut will spiral around the tube, on the bias. As big as this tube is, if you have a 12 or 18 inch mat, slide it into the tube & ruler cut it.

    Since you are only using black, and you need a variety of widths, you could make one of each.

    If you dont want to do that, the thing is bias, anyway, I doubt it would cause you any problems if you switched to different widths as needed.

  7. #17
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,509
    Blog Entries
    3
    Flying_V_Goddess

    I don't mean to be insistent... but I keep looking at your picture here, and still knowing that what you have outlined in colors is black...I still see where you have options to start and stop at points by hiding under another bias. Are each of those pieces over 40"? How big are the blocks? or is this the whole quilt?

    See on each side of her where you have it highlighted red... each side is independent ( can use it's own piece of bias to complete that portion.. ending where the highlighted part that goes around her head and face. I wish I could show you! lol or at least see it ! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #18
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse
    somewhere I saw how you make a continuous bias strip out of 1 yd of fabric.

    Hmm trying to think it out. Maybe if you started with a longer length of fabric, the same as the WOF, you are going to use it all anyway, on your various projects.

    cut the selvedges off your fabric. cut fabric in half diagonally.

    now you have 2 "half squares" sew them together into a diamond, you know, the straight edges of the left one forms the left side of a "T", the right one forms an "L". sew the up & down edges together. The bias edges are to the left & right.

    now bring the other straight edges together into a tube, offset it the amount you are cutting. So there's a leading "rabbit ear" and a trailing Rabbit ear, both the width you want to cut. you cut along the first bias edge, and end up at the trailing rabbit ear bias edge.

    cut it on the width you want. The cut will spiral around the tube, on the bias. As big as this tube is, if you have a 12 or 18 inch mat, slide it into the tube & ruler cut it.

    Since you are only using black, and you need a variety of widths, you could make one of each.

    If you dont want to do that, the thing is bias, anyway, I doubt it would cause you any problems if you switched to different widths as needed.
    I know how to do that technique...in theory. I've never actually done it. The end result is like piecing together a bunch of strips but without all the work. But I wonder if I had to piece together strips in some way if the seams would create bulk (and problems) for the super thin 1/8" or even the 3/16" bias tape I have to make. I would think those are going to be tricky to work with as it is without any added bulk.

  9. #19
    Super Member Flying_V_Goddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    Flying_V_Goddess

    I don't mean to be insistent... but I keep looking at your picture here, and still knowing that what you have outlined in colors is black...I still see where you have options to start and stop at points by hiding under another bias. Are each of those pieces over 40"? How big are the blocks? or is this the whole quilt?

    See on each side of her where you have it highlighted red... each side is independent ( can use it's own piece of bias to complete that portion.. ending where the highlighted part that goes around her head and face. I wish I could show you! lol or at least see it ! :)
    The image you are looking at is the whole thing. Its going to be about 24"x24". There are going to be 7 similar wall hangings.

    [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/SariaTWW.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...DaruniaTWW.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ss/RutoTWW.png[/IMG]
    (Saria, Darunia, Ruto)

    [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ss/ImpaTWW.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...NabooruTWW.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/RauruTWW.png[/IMG]
    (Impa, Nabooru, Rauru)

    (don't have images loaded up for the other two)

    I think I kind of get what you're trying to tell me with Ruto. Like how the fin starts at the top of her head and ends at the bottom of her elbow. Just one of her fins is 45", not both. I know that I can tuck one end of the leading underneath her head and the other underneath her elbow. I guess what I'm trying to say is its a long way between the start and stop and therefore needs a longer strip of bias. And I'm not sure if I can get that longer strip without piecing strips together...and I'm not sure if piecing together would be a good idea since the extra seams would create bulk and I see that as possibly being a problem because the tape is going to be so thin.

    I'm trying to figure out what to do for her head, though, because there's really no definate start and stop. I think I could start in the corner of her head, work my way around until I get back to the starting point, and wrap the end underneath the starting point.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pratt Kansas
    Posts
    852
    Blog Entries
    3
    I do see that. If you use 40" of fabric, the diagonal length would be 56", with the straight edge seam staggering down through it. So there would be several pieces that are of significant length, 40" - 56". If that is not enough, you need to get 3-4 yards, do the diagonal cut. Fold the fabric with the diag as straight edge & rotary cut your precise width cuts. Every piece would be 56".

    I do understand your OP question is about cutting so wide & trimming. I agree that is a lot of fabric waste.

    :-D I come off as "too" helpful sometimes. Hope I did not offend. Your project is ambitious & it looks like you are having fun (isn't that the whole point) & I am confident they will be stunningly lovely!!!

    As the strips are bias and it is a hanging, and thus will not be washed much. What about a straight cut on your bias strip, and just butt them? The cut will be bias also, so no raveling.

    And the most recent question, about her head. There are several intersections with bolder lines, do your head transition there? The earrings, and that 3 triangle unit are bold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.