Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need strip widths for making tape with bias bars >

Need strip widths for making tape with bias bars

Need strip widths for making tape with bias bars

Old 05-18-2011, 02:35 PM

The "Reader's Digest" version of the instructions on my bias bars: 1"-1 1/2" strip of bias, fold it in half, draw a seam line from the fold line slightly wider than the bias bar, stitch along that line, and then cut off the excess.

Am I the only one who thinks that method is wasteful, time consuming, and STUPID? Maybe that might fly with your typical stained glass quilt project, but I'm working on 8 wallhangings and each one requires like a football field worth of bias tape.

One of the images I'm re-creating in fabric:
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/SariaTWW.png[/IMG]

Seems like some of the excess fabric could have been used to make tape. And drawing the seam lines on ALL that bias tape...aw HECK NO! I already have my work cut out for me, thank you.

ctquiltingvideos had a YouTube tutorial on how to use bias bars and the instructions on their bars told them exactly what width to cut their strips and there was no waste. I was wondering if anyone had a set of bias bars that tells you what widths to cut your strips and could tell me what widths I need to make 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", and 3/16" bias tape.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

My bias bar pkg gives only the 1-1.5 suggestion as well. If I really needed to know, I'd wrap a test fabric piece around the bar and add the seam allowances to it. I rarely use my bars.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM

i got the bias tape makers by clover. the 1/4 in one called for 1/2 wide strips, but that didnt work for me. i cut them at 5/8 instead and they are perfect. you cant do the "continuous" bias with the 1/4. the seams wont fit thru, but it's easier to work with shorter strips, and seems to be faster also.
i'm eagerly watching you do your zelda quilts. my boys love the zelda games and i've been showing them your projects.
i just wish they made the 1/8 in and 3/16 in. they are just so easy to use now that i cut my strips slightly wider.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 PM

The directions r way over my head being a newbie but I love what ur making!!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
i got the bias tape makers by clover. the 1/4 in one called for 1/2 wide strips, but that didnt work for me. i cut them at 5/8 instead and they are perfect. you cant do the "continuous" bias with the 1/4. the seams wont fit thru, but it's easier to work with shorter strips, and seems to be faster also.
i'm eagerly watching you do your zelda quilts. my boys love the zelda games and i've been showing them your projects.
i just wish they made the 1/8 in and 3/16 in. they are just so easy to use now that i cut my strips slightly wider.
I'm glad you pointed that out. The 1/4" tape shouldn't be a problem because there's very little of it and its in shorter lengths. But I have quite a bit of leading that's 3/16 and 1/8 and is continueous. I brought out the Ruto image and measured out the contineous leading on her fin and its more than 40". I think I'll have to get some extra wide fabric to get the lengths of bias strips I need without having to piece them together.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm glad you pointed that out. The 1/4" tape shouldn't be a problem because there's very little of it and its in shorter lengths. But I have quite a bit of leading that's 3/16 and 1/8 and is continueous. I brought out the Ruto image and measured out the contineous leading on her fin and its more than 40". I think I'll have to get some extra wide fabric to get the lengths of bias strips I need without having to piece them together.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM

The 1/8 would be cut at 3/8 .... what I had done with making the bias for my Celtic block ... was to cut a strip from card stock or 3x5 card at 3/8 and placed in the middle of the 3/8 cut and iron each side to the center. Making the 1/8 bias....

I am not sure what to tell you for the 3/16.... 5/16 and do the same I am guessing.

I used the mini iron by Clover to press my bias. Used a small ironing mat and sat and ironed away. I cut my bias from fat quarters/ you get quite a bit from one.

You may find it easier to work with short pieces than a really long one. Hide your starts and stops at a point where it is covered by an overpass or under another bias piece. I hope that makes sense.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess

a 40 inch length shouldn't be a problem. Most fabric is 42 or 44 and since you will be cutting on the bias, the pieces will be longer, but my brain can't do the math right now.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
The 1/8 would be cut at 3/8 .... what I had done with making the bias for my Celtic block ... was to cut a strip from card stock or 3x5 card at 3/8 and placed in the middle of the 3/8 cut and iron each side to the center. Making the 1/8 bias....

I am not sure what to tell you for the 3/16.... 5/16 and do the same I am guessing.

I used the mini iron by Clover to press my bias. Used a small ironing mat and sat and ironed away. I cut my bias from fat quarters/ you get quite a bit from one.

You may find it easier to work with short pieces than a really long one. Hide your starts and stops at a point where it is covered by an overpass or under another bias piece. I hope that makes sense.
It makes sense. But there's longer pieces of leading that are uninterupted and can't be worked in smaller pieces.

Here's an example of what I mean. This is the Ruto window I was talking about a couple posts ago. I marked some of the longer pieces of leading (I did miss marking her other arm). The leading I marked in red is the one I measured to be more than 40". Its 3/16" leading and I wonder if I pieced two strips together to get the desired length if the seam from joining them together would create too much bulk since the bias tape will be so thin.

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/RutoLINE.png[/IMG]
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM

all I can say ......is wow!
your wall hangings are awesome.
I tried my hand at Stained glass on my window
and decided...I don't have a steady enough hand
and with fabric ...I might have to try some day.
Be sure to post when your done I will be looking forward to seeing them.