Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for long arm quilting machine >

Need suggestions for long arm quilting machine

Need suggestions for long arm quilting machine

Old 06-02-2015, 03:49 AM

I have been looking at the Q'nique for about $3300, I don't know if that includes the cost of a frame or not. I tried it at a show and really liked the feel of it.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:56 AM

i suggest looking for information at mqresource.com there is no cost to join and it is a machine quilter's forum. there is one forum titled "Quilting Machine Research". people with all different types of machines participate on that site.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:57 AM

It depends on what you want to do. I originally bought a Bailey new because of the price. While an adequate machine, it is not a long arm, but a stretched Janome. The needle is not high speed and is slow. The needle is not meant to be multidirectional. I sold it and bought a refurbed Nolting from Nolting. I do not want any computerization or do pantos, but all handguided. It cost more than you mentioned, but I wasted money on the Bailey because it did not work as a true long arm. Try machines to see how you like them. I did not want to get into anything that had a motherboard or screen. I have an awesome Nolting dealer and Nolting takes calls and helps. All made in the USA.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 AM

I second the advice of iswan.......my friend has a Nolting and loves it.....
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Prekteacher View Post
I bought my HQ16 used. Go to Handi Quilter forums, they post used machines for sale there!
I too bought a used HQ16 (frame model, not sit down). It is a 10 year old machine, but it works beautifully. If any part go wrong, you can have it replaced or upgraded. For 2500$ with a stitch regulator, it was a great deal. You can find these kind of entry level longarm for sale because some people start with these, then upgrade. The previous owner of mine was going for a big Innova.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM

It is so good to see all your raves about the Innova Machines. I want one sooooooooooo bad. I have been checking all of them out at the shows, and so far, cannot find anything that outdoes the Innova. Price comparison is on target, but right now the budget is not. lol. I am working on a cross country move in the near future and hope that when I get settled I can get my dream machine. Look at some of the videos on youtube also, you get a lot of info from them. Good luck and happy sewing
Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 PM

Definitely try to get to a big quilt show and try out some different machines--sit down, a true long arm, one that uses a DSM on a frame, etc. so you get a feel for the differences. It would also let you try different brands. Then do some internet research, including checking Craigslist, eBay and the other sites mentioned to see what the prices are in your locale. You might be surprised at the price of used machines(hopefully pleasantly!) Also, start checking auction ads, typically they will go cheaper at an auction.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Whatever machine you get, spend at least a few hours playing with it first. Honestly, you will probably be happier in the end if you save your pennies and get a higher quality machine. Quiltshorttimer is right also that you should try out as many machines as you can. Find the one that is right for you and that will last you the rest of your quilting life. If you buy a cheap machine and are unhappy with the results...selling it will lose you money and you will have less money to buy what you really want. I love my Innova and I'm so glad I got a quality machine with 24/7/365 live help from an owner of the company when I need it. Check with places that sell the machine you end up wanting - they sell demo machines for less, owners trade up for larger machines and they will have the trade-ins and when their customers can no longer quilt, they will facilitate them in selling their machines. Also, check with the company itself...they also have demo machines that they sell at a discount.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM

I have a Tin Lizzy I paid 3500 for used. Works fine but if you buy one, get the light weight one. My sewing machine is 90 lbs and trying to do FMQ is..... challenging. "A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force". Or, with that much weight rolling in one direction, it takes a lot of force to make it move in a different direction. The slightly later Tin Lizzy machines are around 40 lbs and move much easier on the frame.
It's OK though, I use a QBot on mine for most of my block stitching and groovy boards (which I make myself) for edges. This way all the blocks are done identical and the borders I can tailor make for the length of the quilt.
Make sure you see it work and try to buy locally. Shipping on these things is outrageous. tim in san jose
Old 06-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

You need to go to a large quilt show and try out all the different models to see what suits you best. Good Luck and have fun shopping.