Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Sweet Sixteen sit down owners help.  What thread for workshop? >

Need Sweet Sixteen sit down owners help. What thread for workshop?

Need Sweet Sixteen sit down owners help. What thread for workshop?

Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 AM

Default Need Sweet Sixteen sit down owners help. What thread for workshop?

I'm taking a workshop at Road to California and we will be using sweet sixteen sit down machines. A couple of questions:

1. We need to bring threads to quilt a Landscape quilt. What thread do you find easiest to use on your machine? Is the machine fussy about which thread you use?

2. I use Superior Magnifico or So Fine or King Tut. Usually So Fine 50 in the bobbin. Do you have any experience using these threads on your machine?

3. Have you ever tried quilting with non-cotton fabric? I have a panel I promised a friend I would machine quilt. It's a little stiffer than cotton. It's perfect for the workshop but I wonder if the Sweet Sixteen will handle other fabrics.

4. Do I need to get special bobbins or needles?

Thanks everyone.
Mary Jo
Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

If you want to learn about Sweet Sixteens, landscape quilting, threads, and more .... one of the best people is Sue Patten who just happens to be one of the HQ National Educators!!!

Google will lead you to learn more about her.
As a FYI ... her blog is still up but ended a couple years ago.
She seems to be posting to FB more so now.

To answer your questions ... when I took a S16 class with her, that was one of the reasons why she loved the machine as it seemed to be impossible to stump it and had not shown any limitations. You wouldn't believe what all she had done with it .... and IRL projects, not just sample sandwiches. Alternative fabrics were endless. Any sort of thread. Of course, this requires the operator (or in your case the instructor) to know it intensely) and how to adjust the tension accordingly.

Sue is incredible, not just in knowledge, but her enthusiasm tops it all! She does a lot of shows all around the world, so I am hoping that she just may be leading your class.

Yes a S16 requires special needles and bobbins. However, I would hope that the workshop is providing those, as otherwise, what will you do with them after? (unless you purchase a machine! )

P.S. ... how are you coming with your January list?
delegated any more to your DH?

I hope that they have someone of Sue's calibre there with you, as t

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-12-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM

The workshop is with Charlotte Anderson. Before I signed up for it I put query out about her to the quilting board and got very good reviews. [h=3]Have you taken Charlotte Warr Anderson [/h] Since they didn't mention needles or bobbins in the supply list I suppose they supply them. Usually in these Road workshops they have someone from the company at the class for support. So I hope they do that here.

The projects are going well, although we probable won't get the 2nd landscape quilt done. The paints haven't even arrived yet so my husband can't start his part and we leave next Thursday! I have some drawings I need him to do for the art quilt so I'll keep him busy. Thanks for asking. Once again your comments are very helpful. If we ever do a house exchange in Ontario I hope I get to meet you!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Those threads work just fine on the machine. Mine is not really fussy. You may have to adjust the tension. I've quilted different kinds of material with no problems. Bobbins are M size. You can buy pre wound or wind your own. Hope this info helps.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info, McpEncinitas ....
Looks like you have a great workshop coming up with an impressive instructor!

Have you used the S16 before?
If not, you may want to go to a local dealer for a demo and test drive, to start to get the feel for it. And not have to learn it all there. (I know ... as though you ahve time right now!)

Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I would expect the organizer to have the correct needles and bobbins for the machine. As for thread, the Sweet 16 is very forgiving. Take what you normally use. Don't know much about the non-cotton fabrics but that's probably more of a skill level issue than a machine issue. Have fun.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM

I have yet to find a thread my S16 won't handle. I have used polyester invisible, metallics, pretty much all the popular quilting threads (including Magnifico, SoFine, and King Tut) plus a number of polyester embroidery threads. Look up Rhonda Bracey's blog post about tensions and look at the HandiQuilter site for their video about tensions. Basically you adjust bobbin tension first then the top. And yes, you can adjust the bobbin tension! Remember that on long arm type machines like the S16 you have to change the top tension knob a full turn before any real change is seen; be bold! Enjoy your class.

Pam