Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle Unthreading Problem After Automatic Thread Cuts-Figured It Out!! >

Needle Unthreading Problem After Automatic Thread Cuts-Figured It Out!!

Needle Unthreading Problem After Automatic Thread Cuts-Figured It Out!!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Default Needle Unthreading Problem After Automatic Thread Cuts-Figured It Out!!

Although I love the automatic thread cutting feature on my machine (Juki TL2010Q), it leaves a very short thread 'tail', and I was getting REALLY frustrated with my needle coming unthreaded before sewing the next piece and constantly having to re-thread the needle. FINALLY I figured out that if I inserted the fabric of the next piece further under the presser foot so that the VERY FIRST down-thrust of the needle goes through the fabric (rather than just going down into 'thin air' the first stitch), it seems to catch almost always and no more constant re-threading the needle. Duh....... Maybe I am the only slow learner here, but just in case you are having the same issue, this tip may be helpful to you!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Good tip, however the solution is to turn down the tension a little at a time til you get the tail length you want. I also dont use the cutter when using invisible thread as it springs back too much
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM

Good tip on the invisible tread, snipforfun!
I just manually pull my thread out from the needle before I start again. But I've also found that if you gently pull the fabric out towards the back, it seems to help.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I had the same problem with my Brother 1500. I could have no tension at all and the needle would come unthreaded so it wasn't a tension issue. The Brother has a three hole bar at the top. I was threading two or three of the holes as the manual showed. I now use only the first hole only as a thread guide and the needle does not come unthreaded when I use the thread cutter.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-16-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: remove negativity
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I was threading two or three of the holes as the manual showed. I now use only the first hole only as a thread guide and the needle does not come unthreaded when I use the thread cutter.
What Bella said.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the tip. I am having the same problem with my new Bernina - so I have just started to grab the thread and pull it out a little.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Also (especially if you have a new machine) you might want to check with your local dealer. I believe sometimes there are some adjustment that they can do to help with that.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I had the same problem with my Brother 1500. I could have no tension at all and the needle would come unthreaded so it wasn't a tension issue. The Brother has a three hole bar at the top. I was threading two or three of the holes as the manual showed. I now use only the first hole only as a thread guide and the needle does not come unthreaded when I use the thread cutter.
Thanks for the tip! I also have a Brother 1500 and have been having issues with unthreading. I will have to try this trick!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 AM

I'm in the Brother 1500 club, too. I use two holes to stop the unthreading problem because that was suggested here on the board at some point. I'm not sure when or why anyone would use all 3 holes of that thread guide.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 AM

Phew,.......I am so happy to see this post...I thought it was just me making a bad machine selection(babylock). The auto cut feature, I thought would be great, but then was, am having that same problem..so happy(?)to hear others with other machines are having that same experience......I too have noticed if I scootch that fab just so the first bite is on fab no prob..but when in a hurry and just shove and sew...bingo, no top thread.....I will try adjusting the pressure a bit, if not, road trip to dealer. Baby needs an "adjustment" or trade in!