Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to free motion, should I start over? >

New to free motion, should I start over?

New to free motion, should I start over?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 AM

Default New to free motion, should I start over?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]445007[/ATTACH]
I am new to free motion but trying to imcorporate some on every quilt I make so I can get better. Here are images from the back and the front of my quilt I'm working on now. Not sure how happy I am with the quality, mainly the thread build up at the bottom of the leaves. Any advice on how to avoid this? Should I rip out and try a different pattern that will help me avoid this problem?
Also, if you were selling quilts would you be happy selling with the thread build up or is that a no-no?
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo-1-.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 AM

I like it. But I can't free motion quilt for the life of me so I admire your talent. I think it looks good!

As for the build up. For me it would depend on how it looked after being washed because of crinkling it may hide a majority of the build up. However. It doesn't look bad. I don't think it looks like one mass of knots or that it looks bad at all. Fwiw I would buy a quilt that looked like that.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 AM

Looks fine. You must practice to get better and you are doing that. You may never get away from the shorter stitches when changing directions, as that is a natural pause but maybe something to work on as you go.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:46 AM

I like it. I think that's fine. I haven't gotten beyond meandering stipple yet and still haven't mastered that, so FMing leaves is way advanced for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM

A great resource is Harriet Hargraves book Heirloom Machine Quilting. She specializes in working with beginners. I like her instruction how to avoid the buildup you referred to. Amazon has her book.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

It looks good. Study some of Leah Days videos and you will see she has thread buildup. She uses isocord thread so she can back track several times in some designs. The only way to get perfect stitching is with a long arm run by a computer. The more you FMQ the better you will get but I wouldn't take out your stitching. I find a little less then perfect stitching is better then the holes left from removing it. Sometimes washing the quilt will close in the holes but sometimes not.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks really good. I wouldn't (and don't) worry about that thread buildup as you call it. I've looked at so many quilts at quilt shows and there is plenty of that on display. Remember, quilting is a craft, and as Tartan says, the only way to get "perfect" is with a computer-run long arm.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 AM

It looks fine. Remember that people are not going to look closely and examine every stitch. They will look at the overall pattern.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It looks good. Study some of Leah Days videos and you will see she has thread buildup. She uses isocord thread so she can back track several times in some designs. The only way to get perfect stitching is with a long arm run by a computer. The more you FMQ the better you will get but I wouldn't take out your stitching. I find a little less then perfect stitching is better then the holes left from removing it. Sometimes washing the quilt will close in the holes but sometimes not.
It is like everything in life, you must practice, practice and practice. I was able to perfectly backstitch over my stitches even sometimes hitting into the same hole. You need to always know where you are going so don't look at where the needle NOW, look AHEAD to where you want the needle to go. That is what Harriet Hargrave taught me. You might check her schedule if she will be teaching a class near you??

The ONLY way to get perfect stitches is to get one of those VERY expensive longarm that are so expensive, you could buy a Mercedes Benz for what it will cost you. Hang in there and keep practicing!

PS There is always a need for charity quilts for adults, kids and dogs. Making quilts for even dogs, which I did is a perfect way to cultivate your skills.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM

Thank everyone!!