Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New iron is needed >

New iron is needed

New iron is needed

Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 AM

I just LOVE my Oliso Iron!! It has the automatic feature where you dont have to put the iron on its bottom to stand it up. You just iron as normal let it go and it raises up!! It is one of the sponsors for the Fons & Porter show. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny!!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 AM

I just bought a Toastmaster iron for $10 at our local Giant Tiger (small Canadian department store). It is hot and has lots of steam and is heavy enough to press well. It automatically shuts off in 10 minutes which is ok for me. So far I like it so much better than my $100 Shark which is too heavy, leaks and you have to shake to wake up. The Shark is up for adoption!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 AM

My Rowenta iron leaks. I plan to buy a less expensive iron next.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM

I've had 2 Rowenta's and really like them but eventually they all leaked, grrrr!! I don't think you are supposed to use distilled water in the Rowents's, I wonder why? So I use them dry and have a spray bottle handy that I use for dampness. This was a recommendation from Ricky Tims, who says he never uses the steam feature. Then I bought a Panasonic to use for my clothing pressing and it does a great job with the steam. Aren't irons frustrating??
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 AM

I buy all my irons at thrift store or yard sales...I like the old ones that don't shut off. Price is always right at thrift shops, and you can always afford to keep a backup (or several!)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 AM

I can't use the heavier irons. I love the idea of the Oliso but it is waaayyy to heavy for me to lift.

I have my old cheaper Black & Decker which has truly been a workhorse. I also have my old Maytag cordless which is great for pressing larger pieces as the cord doesn't interfere.

ali
Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 AM

I have owned this iron for approximately 6 months and wouldn't trade it for any other iron. This model is expensive but well worth the money. Search on the web (pricegrabber.com) for sales or lowest price. Enjoy your search & Happy Quilting.
:D