Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New iron is needed

Blog Entries
    my rowenta soleplate spent time on a plastic water bottle so now I need to buy a new iron...it's been several years since I shopped for a new one....what is a favorite out there in quilt land?

I love my Rowenta, I got mine on clearance at Walmart of all places.

Blog Entries
    I love my dry iron that I got from Home Depot. It's a nice heavy iron.

Have never tried Rowenta. I recently purchased an Oliso - the kind with the feet that raise and lower. Not sure what model ... 1600 perhaps (the yellow one). I don't use water in mine, but word of caution - mine says NOT to use distilled water so if that is what you usually use, DON'T with an Oliso.

Things I like about it ...

Really long cord
    Great glide on the sole plate
    Long auto shut off time (30 min I *think*)
    Raise/lower feet (can be turned off)
    Good weight (meaning heavy but not too heavy)

I've had mine for less than a year, so I can't vouch for longevity *yet*.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I just stuck my Rowenta to a plastic bag today. I scraped the soleplate on the edge of my ironing board (need new cover anyway!) and then after it cooled, the plastic came right off with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. My Rowenta is only a few months old and I am so thankful for the teflon coating!

Blog Entries
    I got my Rowenta Master at Costco-be careful, it seems that the ones make in China or someplace like that aren't as good-alot of board members reported leaking. The one I got at Costco is make in Germany, and so far, I love it-no leaking!

I paid good money for a Rowenta --- it died in less than a year and took some fabric with it (burned up the fabric!)
    Went to Walmart and bought a Rival --- lightweight, can be taken to class with ease, HOTTEST iron I've ever bought and does NOT turn off automatically ---- cost??? $9.99!! I just bought a second one in case this one dies. :)

I'm in need of a new iron too,so I will be following this thread.

Amandasgramma has the right price range!

I have a small iron I love for small ironing but my large iron is in sad shape.

If anyone is interested in the Oliso irons with the feet that move up and down Christmas Tree Shops had the 800 for $24.95. I don't need a new iron but someone out there might.

i love my $10 black and decker from wally world- been a good hot faithful iron for 4 years and counting
    i know there are big-heavy- fancy - expensive irons out there- in fact i have one still in it's box (6 years now) on my pantry shelf- when my good $10 iron gives out i might have to get it out...but it's (twin) sucked as far as i'm concerned so i am not in any rush to get it out and deal with it.

why? well- it's heavy=
    it's cordless (which was supposed to be a great feature) and shuts off on it's own- so when i needed it- it was never hot---very aggrivating in my book-
    and when water was put in it it steamed/sputtered/leaked all over- and caused burns- and ...well- i just did not like it (they were both bought together for our sewing school to the tune of $159 each (on sale) we used one for 2 months---before i threw that sucker out---the other- just lives in the pantry
    my black and decker stays hot for as long as i have it on- sometimes all day-
    it does not weigh so much you almost need 2 hands to use it
    and it does a great job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast