New machine suggestions/advice?

New machine suggestions/advice?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Welcome, from Michigan.
I Love my Janome machine.
Happy shopping.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Hello and welcome. My sewing machine dealer in Houston has started selling used machines, with a decent warranty online. Maybe there's a dealer near you who does the same. BTW, you can never go wrong with a Janome. I love all mine
I've never met a Janome I didn't like. I bought the 4000 12 or 15 yrs ago & my 6600 4yrs ago. My sister has 3 the gold, platinum, & her latest for around $500 that she just loves!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Only suggestions I can give you are:
Check pawn shops, 2nd hand stores (as I found an Old singer w/cabinet for 20.00-may have to have some repairs done).
Go to your local sewing machine store and see what they have, a used machine
AND least of all try them out before you buy it .. Most places will let you ..
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

Frozenmama,
They don't make a simple machine with just straight and zig zag stitches any more. I have Singer 237 that only has 2 stitches, course its almost 50 years old now and heavy. Most sewists don't use more than a few of the decorative stitches that are standard with their machines.
To get anywhere close to the machine you're describing, the Husqvarna Viking 118 is the only one I can think of; don't know if its still made. The 118 is mechanical, has needle up/down,adjustable needle position, 18 stitches.
I used to sell new HV machines, its a great machine.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I've had several machines over the years, starting out with a Stradivaro machine, then a Kenmore, then a Singer, but have had my Janome for several years now and it has served me well. I do have a back-up Brother machine that was a freebee and is my back-up when the Janome goes in for a check-up. At one time I had 7 machines, 2 of which were in cabinets, although I'm down to 2 now, well actually 3, but the Kenmore needs to have a hospital visit, but it was free. I love my Janome, but before that my Kenmore was my work horse machine until I burned the motor out. Seriously LOL. My advice, try out several machines to determine the best fit for you and what you plan to use it for.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Welcome to the board! I'm sure you will love it?
Old 09-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Stay away from Walmart cheapies. Everyone I know has had to return. Singer is not up to what it used to be. Brother is supposed to be good but should be purchased from a dealer or checked out at a dealer and bought online. i have a little brother for taking to classes but would not recommend it for anything else. It is great and cheap.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:56 PM

i have viking designer 1, and a viking 1+ (old) and a disney brother, i love my brother best of all
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 AM

Red face Purchasing a Sewing Machine

Originally Posted by Frozenmama View Post
I'm pretty new to this board, but am loving all that I'm learning from reading through the posts. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share. I have been sewing for 28 years, quilting for the last 10 or so. (For some reason, I'm not able to "enter" down to a new paragraph - sorry if this looks like a giant run on!) I was given a great Kenmore 17 years ago, which has served me very well. I've never had one problem with the machine, sews like a dream and can handle everything I've thrown at it. BUT - I'd like to upgrade! I'd like a machine that has better lighting than the one I currently own, and I'd also like a machine that I can adjust the needle position. As well, I'd like the addition of a quilters extension attachment. I don't need much more than a straight stitch & a zigzag - so a machine with a million stitch functions is wasted on me. I'd also like to stay under $400 - that's about all I can afford right now. Where I live, there is no local sewing shop that carries machines, but I've been looking on line. Costco, Walmart, etc. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the different brands, ones that I thought were good, I'm reading reviews saying the machines are actually not good after all. Any suggestions?
Welcome Ontario !

I have purchased machines online from Sew Vac Direct with great success. Their knowledgeable staff have always been able to match my requirements to a great machine and keep it within my budget.

I am a fan of Janome and Juki products but it is very important to consider the throat width of the machine - the wider the better for quilting !

I suggest contacting this company to see what machine they would recommend to suit your needs and budget.

Cheers,

Kathie