Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New (to me) Machine Advice >

New (to me) Machine Advice

New (to me) Machine Advice

Old 10-06-2014, 08:13 PM

I love doing embroidery on my Bernina 880. It's my 3rd one. I traded in a 640 for it so I can use a bigger embroidery hoop. It can do a very large hoop for embroidery and has a large throat for fmq. I still have a White Pearl I keep as back up. Even though I am a long arm quilter I enjoy the space when doing binding. I believe they are worth the cost. I plan for this machine to last the rest of my life. I will take it in for yearly updates and spa treatments. Definitely try out a stitch regulator though. If you already fmq you may not need it and could put the $ toward other accessories. Another thing to consider is service. We have a great service dept. at Pine Needles Sewing Center in Cedar Rapids IA.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:26 AM

i too have a dream machine by brother. I love it, but it cost major bucks. Look at the machines that people traded in for the new Dream Machine. Quattros do so much and have a large hoop, you can get them used for much less than a new one. Generally speaking, you spend that much money on a machine you maintain it.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM

I have the Bernina 830 and it's ok. I wanted it to so badly until I got it. Now I know it's a lot smarter than I am. LOL I'm glad I didn't wait the other month and bought the 880. The 830 is really involved when trying to do any embroidery. The module has to be put on..then the extended table has to be put back on....My husband bought me a new Horn sewing machine cabinet with it. So I will have to take the knee lift off..then the plexiglass has to come off and raise the machine to think about doing any embroidery. My best friend has a Jamone 12,000 I think..or maybe the 11,000 the embroidery module just swings on and off. It stays attached all the time. If I were to do it again I would keep my old Baby Lock Quilters Edition with my vintage machines and save my money. I could have bought a LOT of fabric for that that 830 costs. Just my .02 for what it's worth. LOL