Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New (to me) Machine Advice >

New (to me) Machine Advice

New (to me) Machine Advice

Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 PM

Test drive they aren't for everyone. I have used a bernina without stitch regulator 550QE I believe it was didn't care for it. I have my brother dreamweaver that I adore without a doubt best machine I have sewn on. I do have a stitch regulator for it can't say its improved my FMQ craftsy and practice really have improved it, still have not got the hang of the regulator. I am sure it has its purpose but I still think nothing beats practice. I do love the 11inch harp on my machine and the dual feed is awesome. Some are deterred because of size but it can plow through ten layers with ease like any industrial can and you can use for heavy duty items to sheers there is a different range depending on the v-series model chosen. Embroidery i can tell you will be easiest on a brother/babylock than any other brand even the TOL are easy peasy to use. even my baby was playing around with the dream machine and could figure things out she is 4 so that tells you how easy they are to use. I do like pfaffs IDT alot but probably will not get because I am satisfied with my dual feed. Janomes are also a solid choice, but they have different feed styles so you really have to test a few models. Berninas are a solid machine just way too overpriced for everything including accessories.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:29 AM

Bernina 440 and 550 have a small throat 9" .therefore free motion quilting a large quilt is a major job. Not impossible.
Also I for get the stitch regulator once I could free motion.
The juki range have an 11" throat but don't know their embroidery ability.
Janome have a wide selection and I enjoy their embroidery feature
No nothing about pfaff but would like one.
Also brother offer a wide range with embroidery features.

With which ever you select look for a local dealer. With my brother I had to travel long distances to get it repaired. Big disadvantage to dealers doorstep.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Bernina machines only go about 800 to 900 stitches per minute. You can easily out-run the BSR. Just to give you an idea... the Handi Quilter Avante goes 1800 stitches per minute. They're 2 different animals.
My Innova can go up to 3,000 SPM and when I'm doing an all-over pattern I frequently quilt between 2,200-2,500 SPM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:24 AM

I had a Bernina 820 for quilting. It was a good machine but I find the Janome Memory Craft 15000, w/embroidery a much better machine because the accessories are much more affordable. The machine itself is a quality machine with very few problems. I also have a Janome Artistic 18 quilter w/frame. When I started quilting and embroidery, I thought having two machines was the better way to go. Now unless you get used ones, the prices are way too high. You might want to look at the Babylock. But as others have said, test drive before you buy. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:27 AM

There are lifetimes of good ideas and advice on this thread. I am making serious mental notes. Wow!

I am late but let me vote for looking at the Bernina 1630. It is an older machine - say, maybe 15 years? - but when I get the new sewing machine itches and compare that model to what's in the stores today, .... I am sticking to it. It is computerized, with memory, and, with few exceptions, every bell and whistle today's machines have.

The machine does have a downside but it is a downside that it shares with every other machine on the market - the manufacturer wants to sell more machines and those machines are ever more internally coplex: what I program into my 1630 can be updated but there are no new designs available for the machine. Only the ones available when the machine was new. And, honestly, there are somethings it doesn't have: larger harp, larger hoop, won't connect directly to your computer using a particular operating system, and a few others that aren't coming to me this minute. Then there is the issue of computer problems. Mine has gone lots of hard and persnickety miles with me without a hiccup and I do all the cleaning, oiling, etc. on it. But, when I wanted to take it in for a really "from top to bottom" go over, there was no one in my area who had a tech who was familiar enough with that particular machine to do it. I have never had a mechanical part develop a problem.

My machine was thirdhand to me. The professional quilter who originally owned it had 3. 3! Good heavens. She bought them in FL, used them all and sold 2 of the three before she returned to Canada. One went to my best friend. The other was sold but never picked up by the buyer or used and sat in its case in the best friend's sewing room for a number of YEARS. My Elna died and that's another story. On my friend's advice, I bought the 1630 from its second owner for $400 - a lot cheaper than the $1,800 she paid for it. I congratulate myself every time I sit down to sew.

That "congratulations" thing is what I wish for you. Sorry about being so longwinded. Please let us know what you finally decide. Applause.

Pat
Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 AM

I bought a used Bernina with a stitch regulator. I had a hard time with the regulator because I was used to free motion quilting with out it. I don't use it. I love my Bernina machine. A stitch regulator is a waste of money in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 AM

I was reading about the BSR recently and I found a lot of mixed reviews on it. Apparently it has trouble on lighter colored fabrics, and someone was saying that her chalk lines often throw it off too. After reading all of that I decided I'd be better served just doing a lot more practice, so I would be skilled enough to FMQ on any machine. Can't say I'm there yet, but I AM improving! I never test drove one myself, though.

I like having my embroidery machine as a completely separate machine. That way I can still sew as it's working.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM

I'm also sewing machine shopping. I took a tour of all the local dealers last week and got quite an education. I was really surprised to learn how few manufacturers there really are and that they are all made in China, Thailand and Japan now. You'd think that shipping labour overseas would lower the price instead of raising it but it hasn't. Anyway, when I started I thought I wanted a Babylock Aria until I found out they are made by Brother and that I can get the exact same machine with a Brother paint job for hundreds less. I tried out Berninas, Janomes, Husqvarnas, Babylocks and Brothers and the one I decided to save up for is the Brother Dreamweaver for quilting (VQ3000). It really impressed me in every way. I liked the Babylocks just as much but couldn't see any reason to pay hundreds more just for the name.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 AM

I'm not an expert on any of this, but I will pass this info on that I have gleaned from my BFF in Texas who is a computer/quilter/embroidery guru who has/does own several TOL Vikings and TOL Brother sewing/embroidery machines. She purchased the Brother Quattro 2 and enjoyed it so much that she stepped up and bought the Brother Dream machine which is the TOL Brother that does sewing and embroidery. In her opinion, it's like buying a Lexus versus a Toyota (and yes, for those who want to remind me, Toyota builds Lexus, but they are not the same vehicle). She also said that Bernina has a machine with BSR that she tried, but the Brother Dream did everything she wanted from a machine.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:17 PM

I learned to FMQ before there was such a thing as the stitch regulator; I don't get along with it at all. You can get good stitches with practice. I have 2 older Berninas, a 930 and 1031, I don't think the new crop of Berninas are up to snuff, considering how much they cost and what you get; a long throat costs $8,000+.
I just recently bought ($2,000)a Pfaff Quilter's Expression 4.2, I really like this machine. It has 10" of throat space, built-in walking foot, does really well for FMQ. Pfaff has 4 embroidery machines, I don't know the prices. The website is www.new.pfaff.com
I just finished a skirt over the weekend, was impressed. I have been sewing since I was a child, used many different machines. I am mainly a quilter and sometimes make clothing for myself.
Sharon W. in Texas