Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to Quilting- What are the top accessories to start with? >

New to Quilting- What are the top accessories to start with?

New to Quilting- What are the top accessories to start with?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

I see you've been 'filled in' quite well. I have nothing to add to the lists, but just want to encourage you not to get bogged down with all the stuff to buy. Spend your first money on fabric and just play with your machine. You can buy things as you need them.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

I recently got myself a magnetic pin cushion (I got the one with the lid which makes it easy for transport) and a box of long glass-head pins which are thin and glide through fabric.

Also got a bendable light that I put on the side of my machine. There are LED strips available also instead of the bendable ones.

If you plan to do any applique, I would recommend getting a plastic open-toe foot.

As for the quilt - you could make it to hang on the wall. Not all quilts need to go on a bed and a memory quilt won't need to be washed.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

You might also check out some basic "how to" books.

One of my favorites is "Quilts! Qullts! Quilts!" by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. I prefer the first edition to the second edition - I think because fewer fabrics are used in the examples.

Another of my favorites is "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by Mary Ellen Hopkins.

Of those two, "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!" is more technically comprehensive for a beginner and the Mary Ellen Hopkins book has a more relaxed approach.

There are quite a few discussions about favorite brands for rotary cutters, rulers, and mats on this board. You can do a search for them after a while.

My favorite ruler brand is the Olfa Frosted line because they are the easiest for me to read and I can 'see' them on any fabric.

You will learn that there are usually several ways to do things. (Washing, starching, making HST (half square triangle) units, pressing - the list goes on.) Eventually you will learn what works better for you.

Learn what your machine can do. Some people have used an unthreaded machine and sewn on paper just to learn how to "steer" it.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-17-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I purchased my mat and rotary cutter at JAF (JoAnn's) when they have the quilting items on sale. I prefer the rotary cutter from Olfa and the mat from Omnigrid (found online at JAF). I have been quilting for almost 30 years and I am very impressed with the expensive Creative Grid rulers. They don't slide when you are cutting.

You may want to think about making a wall hanging out of your fabrics. They don't need washing as much as a bed quilt.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:44 AM

Go to the Quilt In A Day website and watch Eleanor Burns videos. I learned to quilt that way.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Welcome to the world of quilting. Beside all these basic tools you will need 100% cotton fabric. The pieces you have are they on cotton and what pen was used to do the writing? If the pen was not a permanent marker you need to stitch over the writing. Good luck .
Yes, the pieces that I have are 100% cotton, and we used fabric sharpies for the writing. I have two grandmothers that are also quilters- so I know some basic things about quilting. However, they both live long-distances and I'm not too too close to them, so I figured I would find a Forum of some kind to get some helpful insight from fellow quilters! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I see you've been 'filled in' quite well. I have nothing to add to the lists, but just want to encourage you not to get bogged down with all the stuff to buy. Spend your first money on fabric and just play with your machine. You can buy things as you need them.
Thank you for this! I feel like this is the best advice that I have got yet! And who doesn't love buying Fabric?!! I feel like this is the most fun so far!! LOL!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

The best I've found to keep the rulers from slipping is the clear bandage tape. It's flat and thin. Easy to remove without any residue. I can move the ruler on the fabric without picking the ruler up. I have two strips the length of my ruler on all my rulers. I use Nexcare brand, no reason other then it was what I found at the store.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM

Creative Grid Rulers are a necessity in my sewing room they do not slip and have easy markings to see. Other than making sure I have enough fabric for the quilt I am working on I would not purchase anything else I did not need until I do need it. There are many ways to batt a quilt....everyone does not pin baste and joining a guild will help you with things like this. fabric, rulers, mat, cutter, pins, seam ripper, 1/4" foot, iron and ironing board, will get you started. As time goes on and you will see other quilters and what they use and decide for yourself if this is for you. Happy Quilting!!!

Last edited by imsewnso; 06-17-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:17 AM

I think a beginning quilting class would be helpful and not any beginning sewing class. I took one that was for 4 hours a week for 6 weeks and it was fantastic. My DIL took a 2 hour class that was awful. Find a class that really teaches you over a period of weeks, you will learn so much. I think the other members of the board let you know everything you need but one thing I suggest, don't buy fabric just because you like it, buy it with a plan in mind. Too many of us have a stash that is out of control, we buy fabric just because it's pretty and there will always be pretty fabric.