Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New serger - now what? >

New serger - now what?

New serger - now what?

Old 05-11-2015, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I am glad you asked your question about projects. I just bought a Brother and I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I planned on taking a class for beginners next month. I am a little intimidated with it so far, hence not taking it out of the box. I know it won't bite. LOL
Not sure which one you got. Last year I got the Ovation, absolutely love it, its so easy to use and the guide that comes with it to show how to thread and the settings for different stitches is great. I've already posted on here alot of the projects I'm made but its so easy
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 AM
mac

Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
One of the most important piece of advice I can give you is: Mark the factory settings on your knobs with a permanent marker or write them down on a piece of masking tape and tape them to the inside of your drop-down front. If you get the tension all screwed up, you will know where to reset it. When I bought my first one many years ago, the sales lady told me this and it saved my behind many a time.
That is excellent advice. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 AM

DACO48, thank you for that extremely helpful hint! I wish that I had thought to do that when I got my Babylock serger! My husband recently bought me a top of the line Janome Covertitch Pro 1000 CPX. I haven't even fired it up yet, but I will take your advice to mark the factory settings before I begin to use it. I am very appreciative that you posted this!

One of the first things that I made with my serger was an ironing board cover. The second thing that I made was a Genie Halloween costume for my daughter. It sews chiffon beautifully. I have always meant to sew lingerie and slips with it, but haven't purchased the nylon tricot yet. I'm a procrastinator {Sigh}. But I have heard that a serger is great for making half slips, and that is an easy project. A lot of people also like it for sewing fleece. If you have a beading/piping foot, you can add a special touch to your pillows and embellish dresses and scarves and such. You could make a table cloth, napkins, placemats, a cover for your serger, a toaster cover, pillowcases, face clothes, beautiful scarves. A serged seam prevents the edges of fabric from fraying, so don't forget to use it for that. I have seen a project where someone took facecloths and serged them together to make a baby blanket. And on YouTube, I saw a similar project for making a very nice bathmat.

Palmer and Pletsch has some very helpful dvds. You can get them on Amazon. They are outdated, but the information is priceless. I think you'll find them very helpful. Also, if you have a Roku--download the PBS app and do a search for Sewing, and you will see Sewing with Nancy. There are almost 100 videos on sewing, and some of them are about using your serger. But just know that she uses a Babylock serger to demonstrate techniques.

Make sure to use good quality thread. Poor quality thread has a tendency to shed lint. And speaking of lint, clean your serger more frequently than you do your sewing machine. Be careful not to sew over pins, or you will ruin your blades. If you misplace your nets for your cone thread, use knee high nylons by cutting them into tubes. When you are sewing with monofilament, taming your thread cones with those nets are critical.

I hope you enjoy your new serger. Have fun! Sharon
Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Also, it is supposed to be excellent for making swimsuits.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:05 PM

Napkins, tote bags, and pillowcases have all been mentioned. And there is nothing better for sewing knits than a serger! I loved making tshirts and sweatshirts for my kids with my serger. I made fleece socks one year using a flat lock stitch. Those were a hit!

As for using it in quilting, I have recently started serging the edge of my quilts prior to binding them. Gives me a nice solid edge. The serger is really for home dec and garments though.