Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New serger - now what? >

New serger - now what?

New serger - now what?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I think some people make quilts on it. Logcabin? I am not sure but I have often wanted a serger but it has been for making clothes. Enjoy! I am sure you will find lots of fun stuff to make on it.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I saw a quilt made by serging tubes and then weaving them.
I just finished a bunch of fabric napkins. even made sets as a wedding/bridal gift.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:00 PM

I love to make my own washcloths to take my make up off with. I buy all cotton terry cloth at Joann's and pretty serger thread, and sew them with rounded corners, and smaller than what you buy in the store. I just find the washcloths bought in stores are too thick and too big for the job. I am also asked by my family to make theirs, and it's fun to give them away. Also make baby washcloths the same way, only smaller yet, about 8" to 9". New mothers can never have enough baby washcloths. They love them.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Make pillow cases! froggyinTexas
Old 05-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Last year I bought a new serger and so far I've made(100% on the serger) a lap quilt, a jacket, an heirloom nightgown, the grandma's fan quilt block, a purse for my granddaughter, a cover for my heating pad and matching pillow cover, with decrotive top stitching, a tote bag, a log cabin quilt made with fleece, a jacket made with fleece, and this month I'm doing a quilt. Nancy Z has a book on making quilts with sergers, you can do table runners, I made large NFL fleece throws for all of my grown kids, serging sure is faster. There are lots of things. go to sites like Brother, etc and see what projects they have for sergers. There are also lots of you tube, etc on line as well.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:18 AM

Smile

I make pajama pants for my children and grandsons. They love getting them and they work up extremely fast on my serger. It is also great for repairs and hemming.

I have a friend who does her quilts on her serger, so I guess there are just lots and lots of uses. You'll have to find out what works best for your sewing.

Have fun!!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 AM

the nice thing about doing a quilt on the serger, you never run out of bobbin thread because there is none. The amount of thread wouldn't be that much, use the stitch that uses 2 threads, the same as a machine. The one quilt I did was a quilt as you go, it was great. the other great thing is you can use a larger variety of fabric. Like the log cabin out of fleece I'm doing, the fabric doesn't stretch. I'm close to being done and I'll try to post pictures. Plus with using the serger on this one, I have the option of not putting a backing on it because the edges are sealed.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 AM
mac

I am glad you asked your question about projects. I just bought a Brother and I haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I planned on taking a class for beginners next month. I am a little intimidated with it so far, hence not taking it out of the box. I know it won't bite. LOL
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM

serging the edges of a quilt top works out fine..I've also pieced backings using the serger and not one bit of a problem with the LAQ..
Old 05-10-2015, 02:38 PM

One of the most important piece of advice I can give you is: Mark the factory settings on your knobs with a permanent marker or write them down on a piece of masking tape and tape them to the inside of your drop-down front. If you get the tension all screwed up, you will know where to reset it. When I bought my first one many years ago, the sales lady told me this and it saved my behind many a time.