Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Singer that looks like FW

New Singer that looks like FW

I am curious if anyone bought one of these new Singers - that have the vintage look - I know that Singer isn't as well made as it was years ago - but I was curious if anyone bought one and has good luck with it. I think it may be a great gift for a friend that sews occasionally but not all the time. I think its very cute and wouldn't mind having one myself as a backup machine. So would love any feedback.

Thanks,

Otis

I haven't but I did see it is on sale at Joann's this week for $350. I'm in the category of I would rather spend it on an original if I already have an everyday machine. But I might feel differently if I had extra dollars floating around. It definitely is unique looking.

Blog Entries
    For that much money (or less) I'll go out and find an original Singer 221 Featherweight in pristine condition with an immaculate case and all the attachments ever made for it. Just remember that all new machines are made with plastic gears. Sooner or later they will wear out.

Blog Entries
    Not your Mother Singer nor is it the same company to deal with. They have terrible customer service and no local service centers. I bought a Futura and it was a piece of junk and had to ship it away. My suggestion is to get a original FW or if you purchase new save your boxes
    Sewflower

It actually looks more like the 301 and not the FW. I'd prefer the real deal!

If you put it into the search field you will get lots more info. We've been discussing this since it was on HSN. I think Singer Anniversary edition might work.

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I am curious if anyone bought one of these new Singers - that have the vintage look - I know that Singer isn't as well made as it was years ago - but I was curious if anyone bought one and has good luck with it. I think it may be a great gift for a friend that sews occasionally but not all the time. I think its very cute and wouldn't mind having one myself as a backup machine. So would love any feedback.

Thanks,

Otis
    I think it's darned cute, too, and thought I wouldn't mind having it, but I also have found Singer is no longer known for quality. I'll be watching to see if anyone has sewn with it yet.

Otis, I think you are talking about the knock off FW that is being made in China or Japan aren't you?
    Not the anniversary singer!!!
    I would buy a vintage FW not the knock off I have about 10 FW's and they are the best lil machines.
    I don't trust the new ones at all. JMHO take it for what it is worth.
    Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 04-13-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Actually, I am talking about the Annversary Singer - sorry that I got that detail wrong. I wouldn't buy a reproduction machine either - I do have a featherweight and love it. I was talking about that new Singer that looks Vintage but with very modern buttons - it is the Anniversary edition and was on HSN - just wondered if anyone has one and if they like it. I realize that Singers are what they used to be - but I was thinking that model might be a good gift for a person who does some sewing but not a lot.

I have been wondering about them too because they look so neat but for that kind of money, I just think how many other vintage ones I could have or a real featherweight.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast