Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New ? take on 'rocking' for hand quilting >

New ? take on 'rocking' for hand quilting

New ? take on 'rocking' for hand quilting

Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM

Kat, Can you post a picture of a coin taped to your finger? And also how you are holding your finger under the quilt? I am having a hard time picturing exactly what you are doing. Thanks!
Linda

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
I also rock the fabric, not the needle. I also find that if I tape a coin to my under finger I can quilt faster, don't poke my finger, and get smaller and more even stitches. I have been quilting over 50 years.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM

To me its not a rocking stitch per say, its the flow or the groove you get going when your quilting, once you reach that groove, its heavenly!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by lindadee View Post
Kat, Can you post a picture of a coin taped to your finger? And also how you are holding your finger under the quilt? I am having a hard time picturing exactly what you are doing. Thanks!
Linda
I think you will get a better idea of how I do this by watching this video. http://bit.ly/yk7XyD This shows how I use the coin, they are using an aunt becky's finger protecter but I have doing the same thing for years using a coin.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM

I'd like to see the finger/coin trick too. Link not working for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
I think you will get a better idea of how I do this by watching this video. http://bit.ly/yk7XyD This shows how I use the coin, they are using an aunt becky's finger protecter but I have doing the same thing for years using a coin.
Kat, I know how the Aunt Becky works, as I have one of those. What I am asking is about how the coin is taped to your finger - nail side or pad side of your finger? How far does the coin extend beyond your fingertip? What size coin are you using - a quarter, a dime? Those kinds of things are what I am curious about.
Linda
Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by lindadee View Post
Kat, I know how the Aunt Becky works, as I have one of those. What I am asking is about how the coin is taped to your finger - nail side or pad side of your finger? How far does the coin extend beyond your fingertip? What size coin are you using - a quarter, a dime? Those kinds of things are what I am curious about.
Linda
Any coin will work, I look for a worn coin with as small a ridge on the edge as possible. I tape it to the pad side of the finger and extending out just a little farther than the end of my finger nail.