Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie with Rag Quilting Worries >

Newbie with Rag Quilting Worries

Newbie with Rag Quilting Worries

Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM

I've always had better luck starting seams like that when the needle is down (in the fabric). Whenever I don't do that, inevitably the fabric and thread bunch up in a wad and I have a mess to pick through for the next five minutes.....
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Just wondering, is your middle piece smaller than your top and bottom piece? It kind of sounds like you cut all 3 pieces the same size. If you put a pin in the center, that should keep the 3 pieces from shifting.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies and ideas. I guess I deserve a collective eye roll. No - I did't baste/pin my layers. Every tutorial I watched on the 'net showed the quilter zipping thru those sandwiches, easy peasy. Of course, if you're posting a video tute on the 'net, you probably have more sewing experience than me! I had thought, "wonderful, a step I can skip!"

Will have to invest in the basting spray. I hate pinning.

To dunster - isn't it crazy how hard it is to find designer prints in Canada!? I also do needle felting and wet felting and was dismayed to find how difficult it was to find supplies in my area. Also dismayed by the expense. My husband, too! Credit card company loves me, though!

I was chatting with a woman thru Etsy who makes rag quilts. She lives in Saskatchewan, so I was curious about where she bought her fabric cheaply when I can't find it here and not for any price where I could sell a quilt for the prices was listing. She said that every few months, she drives a few hours to get into the States and then stocks up on hundreds of dollars worth of fabric. Is it just me, or is that just kinda sad and unfair to us Canadian sewing enthusiasts? Sometimes it feels like Canada is on the other side of the world.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM

I have made several rag quilts recently. I will post a picture of one I made with cotton for the top, osnaburg for the middle, and flannel for the back. I cut all three the same size and put my x through each square. Turned out great. I am a new quilter and find the rag quilts to be very forgiving. The most important thing is to use the laundromat! Have fun with your quilts!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386443[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0876.jpeg   img_0877.jpeg  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Sue1765 - Your quilt is gorgeous! Love the hot air balloons and boy theme (I have 2 little boys)! Question for you - what is osnaburg?
I know I don't need the 'x' if all of my pieces are the same size, but I love the 'quilted' look it gives... and I'm using 8" squares to begin, so that added texture the 'x' gives is so appealing to me.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
This part of your question made me laugh. Take look at this survey from 2010. http://www.quilts.com/announcements/...0_OneSheet.pdf

Quilting is a $3.58 billion industry, with over 21 million quilters. They estimate that 14% of US households are home to at least 1 active quilter. That's a lot of quilters!
That is the part that caught my eye also. Everyone quilts! - Well, not everyone, but lots more than ever before.
As far as the rag quilts go - my advise - let go - it is very forgiving - thing what's going to happen. You're going to sew wrong sides together for seams, clip and let rag. It's not supposed to be perfect. And the x's won't be seen very much. Quit worrying and enjoy the freedom of none perfection. Next time do free motion s's, enjoy.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Ahhhh... free motion. My nemesis. For now!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AllTheLovely View Post
Sue1765 - Your quilt is gorgeous! Love the hot air balloons and boy theme (I have 2 little boys)! Question for you - what is osnaburg?
I know I don't need the 'x' if all of my pieces are the same size, but I love the 'quilted' look it gives... and I'm using 8" squares to begin, so that added texture the 'x' gives is so appealing to me.
Thank you! From the dictionary "osnaburg: n. A heavy, coarse cotton fabric, used for grain sacks, upholstery, and draperies." I got mine at Joann's and it wasn't heavy. It was suggested to me for the middle of a rag quilt because it frays easily, especially when using cotton, which doesn't fray as much. It turned out great.

i didn't know until reading this post, that you didn't need the x if all pieces are the same. That is what is so great about this board. All these wonderful people are such a wealth of knowledge and so willing to help.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM

So, just an update... amid lots of family stuff and other projects, I've begun the snipping! I did trim some areas (always flannel) that seemed to be a bit too far off the mark, before sewing my rows together. Snipping - so far, so good... Just my bad eyes that are betraying me. It has become an afternoon, in good light, kind of task. Only 40 and already needing bifocals. Sigh. Once I can figure out my camera and fix it so the pic files aren't so huge, I'll post some pics - Sandi Henderson's 'Secret Garden' in two different colourways. Lots of the 'skeleton key' print used. Hoping my sister will love it!
Thank you, EVERYONE, who posted and gave such great advice and encouragement!
Sarah
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM

I still can't get a picture to post here. I hit upload, but nothing happens. To see pictures of the rag quilt I began this thread about, please go to:

www.facebook.com/ShuggleBunnyDesigns

Look for the 'Just for Fun' album within the 'Photos'... it's the only item with pics in that album so far. ShuggleBunny is my little home hobby/business and was named for my Mom's word for hug/cuddle - a 'shuggle'.

Thank you, everyone, so much for all of your help! My sister will be thrilled to receive this gift. My next challenge will be giving it to her and not keeping it for myself!