Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie) >

Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

Next Quilt (Easiest) Suggestions (Newbie)

Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 PM

Red face

Welcome to the board! Don't be surprised if you spend as much time here as you do sewing....just saying......
Why not just make a few different blocks of different patterns to see which you like best? Such as: 4-patch, 9-patch, rail fence, windmill, log cabin.....they don't have to be the same size blocks, any of these can be bordered and made into one whole scrappy sampler quilt.

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 06-14-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:31 AM

check out the tutorials on missouri quilt's web site. Jenny is awesome
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 AM

Default Potato Chip Quilt

This is my go-to "easy/quick" pattern: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5499590
I just can't seem to stop using it. It goes so fast and can be varied easily. I must have made several dozen tops for Project Linus quilts using this one.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:40 AM

My first large quilt was Antique Tile - Quilter's Cache - 12" block. Was very easy, but I was able to tell the whole story of my life on 35 blocks. I have been quilting for nigh onto 20 years now and this one is my very best favorite - I started my stash on this one, made stories about my life and family and home and neighbors and incidents and holidays in that quilt = many fat quarters for a little piece of this or that that matched exactly what I wanted to put into the quilt. No HST, just squares and rectangles - From there I went on to my favorite which are Samplers and I always build a story with my quilts, and each time I finish a block, I write a story about it and when the quilt is finished, I give the recipient the story.

Happy Quilting!

Edie
Old 06-15-2014, 03:59 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by souffoue View Post
I'm about as "newbie" as they get - I have only made one rag quilt. I'm going to be making another rag quilt (my daughter has requested a bigger one). After that I want to try "real" (for lack of a better time) quilting. Is there any type of quilt that is easiest for a beginner/newbie?

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
One of the first ones I made was for my boss and I cut 12 1/2 inch Squares ( then you have the 1/4 inch seams ) out of coordinating Fabrics. I used Rich Paisleys and Flowered Prints. Made it big enough for a Throw she could cover up with while watching TV almost twin size.. used a nice batting and both Tied it at all the corners and in Center of Squares and then hand Quilted using bigger stitches about 1 inch from the Seams in all the Squares and made a binding out of all the fabrics... This was a Quick job and more like a Comforter than Quilt .. but it turned out nice and She loved it... ( my co-workers chipped in on the cost). You could use smaller squares or even Rectangles for the same idea.. ( use this as a practice Quilt for different styles of stitching. )
Old 06-15-2014, 06:10 AM

Make your first "real" quilt the one you make in a quilting class. I have been sewing for well over 55 years. I had always wanted to make a quilt. I had tried some piecing through the years but never made anything larger than a pillow top. About five years ago I decided that it was time to get serious. I knew that if I tried on my own if would probably never finish, so I signed up for a beginning quilt class at my LQS. I knew that if I had money invested, I would finish. I learned so much in that class - tips and tricks that I would never have learned on my own. And I came out of the class with a finished quilt. So take the class. You will not regret it.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Now that you are on a roll, document your quilts. Either in a journal (pictures, swatches of fabric, etc) or starting folders here (under your "My Profile") or just on your computer, however it works for you. You will be surprised how many you may do through out the years.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Missouri Star or an Eleanor Burns pattern. Love her books El's Kitchen and Quilts through the Seasons. Both have a variety of block patterns that you can mix together or use separately
Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Many great suggestions and ideas!! I'm gonna get a little notepad and pen to write down all the different quilt names and ideas. My daughter leaves this week on a school trip and that is when I'm gonna do her rag quilt. I'm gonna check into a quilting class as well. Thanks again everyone.....I love this place!!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by souffoue View Post
Thank you all again so much! So many choices. I have a feeling this could easily become an obsession!! lol. The pictures you posted are So gorgeous! Can't imagine ever doing something so beautiful. I would post my only quilt pic but I would pale in comparison. I also I can't even figure out how to post a profile pic. Haha
It IS an obsession... and an addiction. And when you figure out how to post your pics, please do - we love to be "cheerleaders" for the newbies to our craft. We were all beginners once! And for me personally, well... I've never been able to completely master applique, at least not to my satisfaction... and I've been quilting for 30 years.