Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No brand vs brand name fabric >

No brand vs brand name fabric

No brand vs brand name fabric

Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Like most choices in life, this one is entirely up to the individual doing the choosing. There are good and not-so-good fabrics of all types and it's best to make your own decisions.

There are famous maker fabrics that fade, bleed, are loosely woven, have a coarse hand, shrink horribly and even some that smell awful. On the other hand, there are nameless fabrics that don't have any of those faults, are a pleasure to work with and make marvelous quilts that last forever.

Choose your fabrics as you choose your produce. Is it fresh, healthy looking, the perfect color, look beautiful, feel good in your hands, blend well with others, a reasonable price, does it suit your taste, and can you use it to make something that you and others will remember for a very long time? If so, grab it up before someone else beats you to it.
Totally agree!

And Prism99 - sometimes that is what stands out to me the most. "Lower-priced cottons often have a "muddier" appearance with the design not being as sharply defined. Colors and designs are often much better in the name-brand cottons." While I can find fabrics to my liking (liking being defined by feel of the fabric and design) - I have to look longer at Wal-Mart, Joann's, etc. Walking into the closest LQS to me (about 10 minutes away - fairly new shop, they keep adding more fabric!!!) - I am instantly in LOVE with about every fabric I see!!! If I could afford it, I'd always go there first. This because of the designs.

That said, while I usually have to look a bit more at the other locations - I am usually able to find something that I like - and at a cost I can afford (since that does have to be a consideration).
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM

I tell by the look and feel of it. Some "no brand" is just as nice as the big name fabrics. We can't always buy brand name fabric. In my case, I buy what feels the best and looks good as I can't buy brand names often at all.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
What I often notice is the quality of the design. Lower-priced cottons often have a "muddier" appearance with the design not being as sharply defined. Colors and designs are often much better in the name-brand cottons.
I agree with this, better quality usually has a much better defined design than cheap stuff, I don't go by the price either, anything is cheap stuff if it is yucky made.