Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No substitute available for - - - >

No substitute available for - - -

No substitute available for - - -

Old 04-29-2015, 10:50 AM

I'm a trial-and-error person too. That's why I call my room 'the quilting lab'!

I also think it depends on who's the responder to the question I'm asking. Bearisgrey, I generally heed well your expert advice on this Board, but one place we diverge is pre-washing. Did it once, horrified by the result, killed myself getting the fabric ready to cut, just can't face doing it again!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I'm a trial-and-error person too. That's why I call my room 'the quilting lab'!

I also think it depends on who's the responder to the question I'm asking. Bearisgrey, I generally heed well your expert advice on this Board, but one place we diverge is pre-washing. Did it once, horrified by the result, killed myself getting the fabric ready to cut, just can't face doing it again!
What happened that was horrifying? I really am interested in the answer!

I have - once in a while - come across a piece that did look like (what is an acceptable word to use on this board for "totally unsuitable for any type of quilting use"?) after it was washed. I now try to avoid things that I think might turn out like that.

After measuring hundreds (really!) of fabrics before and after washing - I did find that:

Rarely did a fabric stretch - but once in a very occasional while, it would.
Most fabrics did shrink "some" - about an inch per yard or an inch per width (42-45" wide off the bolt)
Some fabrics shrank "a lot" - over two inches in width (42-45" off the bolt) or per yard

Sometimes a fabric that looks like it is off-grain off the bolt will straighten out by itself. If it's still off after washing - now I just leave it and don't even bother trying to straighten it.

I also like to know how the fabric is "au naturel" - is it limp, stiff, scratchy, rumpled, wrinkled - or does it still have a nice hand all by itself?

There seem to be many people that have not had problems with skipping this step. I just don't want to deal with any possible problems later. Been there. Done that. Did not enjoy the process.

Besides, I truly enjoy handling the fabric - especially if I don't have any immediate plans for the piece.

I will confess, though - I inherited some fabric from my Mom - and it is still in the unwashed pile!
Old 04-29-2015, 01:17 PM

Sign on my frig:
Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
When I get options on something I am having issues with I will try them, usually starting with the one that makes the most sense to me. Then when I hit on one that works I usually stick with it. However I am one that if I take a class and someone has a different technique I will normally try it just to see if it is easier or I get better results. Unfortunately what works for me doesn't always or may not be the best for someone else. I always say do what works for you. Not all of our brains, hands, etc work the same way - all you need is to find what works for you and gives you the best results.
You said exactly what I was thinking!
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

Trial and error a lot of times however I research a lot on line, other quilters and in books by quilters I trust.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:05 AM

I'm a 'try it first' kind of person. If it works, I'll do it again later. Trial and error is the best teacher, when so many personal opinions are out there, choose the one that fits your personality trust.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

There are many ways to cook or clean and it is really all that counts in quilting is what works FOR YOU. You should try different techniques to see what is easier for you to use. I don't pre-wash my fabrics especially with the invention of color catchers. I also do NOT have a W/D in my apt. I have started to cut backwards with my acrylic rulers because it is easier for me being disable. There are many ways to make HSTs. I use EB method but F&P have come out with a new different method. As long as your HST come out to be the accurate size, I don't think it really matters the method you used.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 AM

As a mostly self taught quilter I have learned so much from this board. I have also had some wonderful suggestions from sales people in the quilt shops. In the beginning I didn't wash my material and then I had a bleeder and I thought I need to wash and iron my material before I use it. If I am going to applique or have really small pieces I starch them. it is a hassle to iron. I try not to iron anything but my material is special. I usually wash and iron my material right away because I love whatever I have bought and I want to admire it. After I get it ironed I put it away waiting in line for the desired project. I try not to keep a "stash". I try to buy with the knowledge of a quilt in mind. I have found that I am getting ahead of myself in the buying department so I am going to try and get a couple of projects done before buying more material.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
Sign on my frig:
Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.
I need that on my fridge!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I like to try new things, but not always with good results (sometimes operator error). I was using pins to baste my quilt sandwich when I first started quilting, but tried the spray basting after discovery. I was less than thrilled with the results, but it was my fault for overspraying. After getting the spraying process down pat, I was sure that there was nothing else I would use. WRONG! Then I discovered glue basting and quickly decided that it was fast, easy, and super cheap....all while doing the job of keeping the layers together. But...spray still has its' own benefits of being very fast and no drying required.

Soooo, I guess my point is that lots of techniques, tools, battings and fabrics each have their own benefits and spot in my quilting life....but maybe not in the quilter down the street....to each his own! But I do love all the quilters here on the board who share their ideas and skills.
Here is an idea for you. Spread a few towels on a table at least two thick. Lay your backing over it, spread the batting. Then as you get the top evenly spread, lift half, apply glue in skinny swirls and iron it on medium to speed drying time. Works great for me. When it is all glue basted on the first side, I let it sit for 1 hour, then flip it over, smooth the backing again, and glue baste the backing half at a time. Iron one more time, allow to sit for another hour. By this time I am pretty wore out, so I let it sit folded until the next day. Everything is dry and ready to quilt. When glue basting, it is easier to sew through, if you use skinny lines of glue. I aim for getting the glue approx. every four inches.