Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Officers Challenge >

Officers Challenge

Officers Challenge

Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 AM

Default Officers Challenge

I know you guys are so good with ideas. In a moment of temporary insanity I volunteered to be in charge of the officers challenge next year for my quilt guild. The last 2 years it has been pretty time consuming for the officers. We did a mystery quilt and a technique of the month. I need some suggestions of projects. I saw one on here (I think) where you had a piece of fabric and tore a piece off and could only add one color. I think it was black and white. I know I am pretty vague on the details but that is all I remember.
Also any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 AM

What exactly is an "Officer's Challenge"?

Sorry, I'm not in a quilt guild (there's none around here) so I don't know what you gals usually do there!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:53 AM

I remember that one too....the final was a very "picasso-ish" - someone will know exactly where to find it. I saw a "star" challenge quilt photo recently that was really pretty - I believe the only prerequisites she mentioned were that it had to be a star and use purple and green.
Good luck --- PS - LOVE your avatar.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 AM

I heard of this one recently ....

Greeting card challenge.

Purchase X number of greeting cards, any kind (birthday, sympathy - whatever - but get a mix of cards not all the same card). Give a card to each member in the challenge.

Each member has to take at least 3 elements from the greeting card to make a block, and only 2 of the elements can be color. Other than choosing two colors, they can use tulips if the card has tulips, they can use puppies if it has puppies, they can use the words - even in a twisty way (i.e. if the card is a belated birthday they can use a clock in the card). The possibilities are endless.

The completed block I saw was based on a humorous birthday card. The card had a picture of a plain white birthday cake on the front with a blue background and the words happy birthday in yellow. The inside read something about the fact that there were no candles on the cake due to a warning from the fire marshall. The resulting block was a very pretty layered appliqué flame using the yellow and adding other oranges/reds and set against a blue background.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 AM

I went an got paint chip cards from Lowe's in every color. We are putting them in three bags labeled Dark, Medium and Light. Each quilt group member (we only have 13) members will take one card at random , no peeking, from each bag. They have to make a smallquilt or wallhanging using those colors and may add one other color. Should be very interesting. That is our project for next year as we are finishing this years next month.
It was a mystery quilt that we got instructions once a month on what to do next. In the beginning all they gave us was the amt of fab we needed.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I heard of this one recently ....

Greeting card challenge.

Purchase X number of greeting cards, any kind (birthday, sympathy - whatever - but get a mix of cards not all the same card). Give a card to each member in the challenge.

Each member has to take at least 3 elements from the greeting card to make a block, and only 2 of the elements can be color. Other than choosing two colors, they can use tulips if the card has tulips, they can use puppies if it has puppies, they can use the words - even in a twisty way (i.e. if the card is a belated birthday they can use a clock in the card). The possibilities are endless.

The completed block I saw was based on a humorous birthday card. The card had a picture of a plain white birthday cake on the front with a blue background and the words happy birthday in yellow. The inside read something about the fact that there were no candles on the cake due to a warning from the fire marshall. The resulting block was a very pretty layered appliqué flame using the yellow and adding other oranges/reds and set against a blue background.
i really love this challenge and am going to suggest it to our guild.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Our guild did the paint chip challenge. It was a lot of fun.

Does each officer make a block and then you sew them together to make one quilt or do you each make a quilt or wallhanging?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Do you mean that the officers of your guild do all the challenges, BOMs, project suggestions, etc. for the guild during the year they serve??? Wow, that would sure "busy" them and leave out many good members with skills, I'd think.

Jan in VA
Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Do you mean that the officers of your guild do all the challenges, BOMs, project suggestions, etc. for the guild during the year they serve??? Wow, that would sure "busy" them and leave out many good members with skills, I'd think.

Jan in VA
That doesn't make any sense for a guild to do that. Why would that idea even be considered.

The Officer's Challenge is the same as any challenge. It's just a group doing the challenging of members and it just a fun way to name it. I was in charge of a challenge last year at our guild. I put a blue design, orange design, and pink design of 1/2 yard each in one bag. Each member got a bag and had the year to make a wall hanging or quilt using the bag fabrics and adding fabric as desired. The winner of our viewer's choice received guild dues paid for the next year and a beautiful ribbon. The guild paid for the fabric. We have a member's fund that pays for activities and projects for members during the year.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM

I'm with others in not understanding what an "Officer's Challenge" is or why it would be some time comsuming. Our guild has a challenge but everyone who wants to does it. It isn't all that time consuming for the committee during the year but there is extra time needed early on in the planning the theme and at the end when the entries are shown. This year ours is a two color challenge. The participant picks out two colors and can use different gradations of those colors and makes something that is lap size or smaller.