Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Officers Challenge >

Officers Challenge

Officers Challenge

Old 08-24-2014, 02:29 PM

If you are looking for a short term challenge this might work. Our guild had members bring a fat quarter each. Take home a different quarter and make a placemat in time for the next meeting. If you wanted to do several you could, just bring and take same number of fat quarters. Placemats had to use the majority of the fat quarter but other fabrics could be added. The finished placemats were then donated to Meals on Wheels. We voted and top two, I think, got a prize.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
My guild does a Black Bag Challenge (only because the bags used were black. They could be large paper bags) Bags are available at a regular meeting. Those participating grab a bag and take it home. Once home, they put a piece of paper with their name on it and 4 FQ of their choosing and close the bag. The next meeting the bag is returned and placed on a table and they get mixed up. At the end of the meeting, each person that brought a bag chooses and different bag, checking to make sure it is not her original bag. Challenger members then have 3 months to make something using those FQ and additional fabrics may be used for the person who's name is in the bag. At the end of the 3 months the meeting is "The Great Reveal". It has been lots of fun over the past several years.
We did this and used Pizza boxes and called it the pizza box challenge. Each member filled out a note card with what size block, fabric/color theme, and what blocks (stars, log cabin, don't care, etc.) they preferred. I chose civil war era and 12" blocks from that era. We had a big reveal at the end of the challenge then we made the quilts using the blocks in time for our quilt show.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 AM

Great Ideas, friends!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM

I knew you guys would come up with some good ideas for me. Thanks. I will present them to the rest of the board and we will pick something.