Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Officers Challenge >

Officers Challenge

Officers Challenge

Old 08-23-2014, 12:25 PM

My guild one time got a big box of crayons. You had to pick one with eyes closed. This color had to be at least 50 per cent of the project. You could make anything you liked. The crayon had to be kept so it could be displayed with the project.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:17 PM

My sewing group recently did " The Fruit Cocktail Challenge " We each bought a can of fruit cocktail, then made a 12 1/2 inch block using the colors on the can. When the quilt top was made we donated it to a Nursing Home and all the cans of fruit cocktail to a food pantry. It was really fun!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM

We did a paint chip challenge 3 years ago. Then a mystery quilt. Putting all of the clues out there wasn't too bad. This year someone had the bright idea to give a project every month using precuts. It has ended up being quite a bit of work for us officers to present it every month. We were trying to think of something a little bit different this year. Thanks for the ideas so far.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 AM

Don't need to purchase greeting cards, have the members bring used ones and throw them in a bucket and everyone gets to draw. They can put it back if they get their own. Save the card money.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 AM

My guild does a Black Bag Challenge (only because the bags used were black. They could be large paper bags) Bags are available at a regular meeting. Those participating grab a bag and take it home. Once home, they put a piece of paper with their name on it and 4 FQ of their choosing and close the bag. The next meeting the bag is returned and placed on a table and they get mixed up. At the end of the meeting, each person that brought a bag chooses and different bag, checking to make sure it is not her original bag. Challenger members then have 3 months to make something using those FQ and additional fabrics may be used for the person who's name is in the bag. At the end of the 3 months the meeting is "The Great Reveal". It has been lots of fun over the past several years.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:05 AM

Look on you tube....one yard fabric exchange. We did this at our summer picnic. Had a great time. Everyone sat in a big circle. We wanted to put everyone out of their comfort zone and chose poke a dots. Everyone will bring their finished projects to our Christmas lunch for show and tell.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Our guild challenge this year was given to us at our first meeting in January and is due at our October meeting. I love the freedom this challenge offers to members with a wide range of talent and experience.

First, the members were asked to go to a table and choose a magazine. There were lots of magazines with all types of topics: ie: Better Home and Gardens, Consumer Reports, People and the list goes on. The only magazines that were not included were the ones with Quilting or fabric Topics. Next, the President gave each member a Number she had printed out in a colorful fancy font.

Challenge:
Look at your number and go to the page in the magazine that matches the number given to you. Carefully, tear out that page that matches the number you are holding. Look at the magazine page, and find something on the page that inspires you to make a sewing project or craft of any size or type..quilting, embroidery, fabric boxes, luggage tag potholder etc.... You may be inspired by the colors on your page. A word may stand out that inspires you to creative your project.

My page: Home Depot ad for paint. It says, "How many colors do we have? How many can you imagine? If you dream it, we can help bring it to life." I was inspired to think about what colors my world. I thought of springtime and all the flowers that make my yard colorful. I am making a wall hanging that is a basket filled with flowers.

A sheet was passed around for members to write their name and number. I would suggest that each member be given a page saver (clear plastic sheet) that their magazine page and number can be stored in for safe keeping.
I clipped my page saver in my binder so I wouldn't loose it. The number is to be pinned on your project when the challenge is due.

Funny thing; One lady said she did not like the colors on her magazine page. She announced that she is inspired to make projects in colors that she enjoys working with and not ones she dislikes. Another person announced the magazine page she had chosen reminded her of a UFO project she had long abandoned and she now is inspired to find it and complete it....

Good luck choosing your guild challenge and most of all Have Fun!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Jan, maybe I misunderstood your post, but it seemed to me that you think the challenge officer does all the work of sewing etc., I may be wrong but I think the Challenge Officer just comes up with the ideas of different projects for the members to work on for the year. That in itself can be time consuming to say the least, especially if they need to get stuff together for the challenge. I don't think any members are left out in this. If I am wrong, someone can feel free to correct me
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Our's is a "President's Challenge"--they are due next month. The challenge this year is to make anything quilted that is "ethnic". i know we have at least one Irish/Celtic quilt, I'm making a Japanese purse, some are doing Spanish-style items. It will be fun to see all the different (and colorful) items.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Don't need to purchase greeting cards, have the members bring used ones and throw them in a bucket and everyone gets to draw. They can put it back if they get their own. Save the card money.
Good idea. I'm all into being wise with funds.