Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh for an INCH and a half on this evolving quilt >

Oh for an INCH and a half on this evolving quilt

Oh for an INCH and a half on this evolving quilt

Old 08-18-2015, 03:07 AM

May I suggest you google "photos of quilt backings". You will see many people take random pieces of fabric and piece the back. They turn out really cute.

I would continue to use whatever fabric you originally chose for the binding, adding scraps if it's not long enough.

Good luck with your quilt. It looks really great so far.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 AM

I like to piece my backs to make them more interesting and use up my stash. Cut your backing all the way across somewhere off center and insert a different color. It works best to do things off center on the back so that when you make your quilt sandwich thing don't have to be perfectly aligned. Beautiful quilt.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:51 AM

Cute quilt. Make a strip of the print or the pink or even a row of blocks the goes with the front and add it to the center of your backing fabric. I do not like wrapped around binding. It doesn't wear as well as added double binding.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:04 AM

No hints on your quilting "problem" but just want to thank you for your attention to your mom. Dealing with the elderly and their diminishing abilities can be challenging. You are making good memories for yourself as well as helping her in many ways with these projects. Please make a project for yourself with her. It will be a treasure to you in days to come. Bless you for your time and patience.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 AM

How wonderful that you are willing to help your mom make her first quilt!!!! She won't remember doing it, probably, but the family will remember.Bless you!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:22 AM

I love your quilt, the memories you are creating and the fact that you are using what you have on hand. I second all the ideas for making the back look like a gift... very fun idea. For quilting, I would probably do random loop-di-loops with hearts thrown in. They are quite easy once you get the rhythm. Start doodling and see how it goes. Do some loops, then start at the bottom of the heart, curve around to the inner point and back around to meet the bottom point. I find it's easier to get a symmetrical heart this way. You may want to practice on a scrap sandwich, but remember that every quilt is a snapshot of what you can do at this point. Don't waste precious time waiting for perfection. Make those quilts happen!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
How wonderful that you are willing to help your mom make her first quilt!!!! She won't remember doing it, probably, but the family will remember.Bless you!
I agree. You will be blest.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 AM

when i fold my backing to the front for binding i double fold it just like i do when using sew-in binding.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Jenny Doan's Flutterbuy quilt looks similar to this with the small snoballs. Happy for you getting to spend time with your mother working on this together.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
No hints on your quilting "problem" but just want to thank you for your attention to your mom. Dealing with the elderly and their diminishing abilities can be challenging. You are making good memories for yourself as well as helping her in many ways with these projects. Please make a project for yourself with her. It will be a treasure to you in days to come. Bless you for your time and patience.
Illinois took the words out of my mouth................I, too, have a mom with dementia and relish every day I have her on this earth. Somedays are better than others, but I always try to make her laugh. Memories are fleeting for her but the memories I have WITH her are priceless. Bless you.