Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh for an INCH and a half on this evolving quilt >

Oh for an INCH and a half on this evolving quilt

Oh for an INCH and a half on this evolving quilt

Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM

I'd like to suggest that you take a photo of your Mom while she is stitching. Include that on the quilt label for whoever is the lucky recipient of her work. That would up the "priceless-ness", in my estimation!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

I think I am going to let Mom read all the suggestions then let her decide how to do the back. Since she struggles so much to sew, she can at least decide things. She did completely piece about 1/4th of the blocks before she gave up and would only iron. (then I have to worry about her getting burned) She has forgotten how to not make thread nests under the FW. I remind her to turn the hand wheel toward her, leave the take up lever up when she starts and stops, leave thread tails in the needle and bobbin behind the foot and she forgets or gets in a hurry - she taught Home Ec.... sad.... I'm thinking she may do ok on an 'easier to clean out a thread jam machine' but we will see how that goes. With a kid next week there will be improvement with dementia next week there will not be improvement. There may be a window of time when she can do things for a while. I just have to find the windows. Some times I just have to do things and let her 'help' by finding things she CAN do that day.

Thanks everybody for all the kind words. Funny thing about Jenny's flutterby quilt was I saw that video right after we did the aqua corners. Something was lacking so we did the pink corners. Some times I set mom up with some of Jenny's videos while I clean up the kitchen. She loves to watch.

Last edited by miriam; 08-19-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM

May I simply add my "echo" to the comment from "Illinois". Many of us have "been there" and it's a real challenge to keep a positive outlook. Yes, you WILL treasure this project. God Bless!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Miriam;

In June, I finished up a quilt for my mom. Quilted hearts & leaves on a vine in the big border. I did it all freehand except one heart that didn't look right with all the other freehand hearts. Used my Singer 15. For me, I found if I started out going to the left side that was simplest for me. Don't ask why as it made no sense to me but the hearts and leaves just turned out better. My siblings and cousins loved the wonkiness of the hearts (not perfect in any way) on the border. So go ahead take the plunge and just do the hearts free hand.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 PM

You are wonderful to your Mom. She raised you right!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Now that would be how I wrap a gift anyway. Maybe it needs a bow appliqued on that wonky ribbon with a tag that says it is made by Great Grandma and Grandma for Lovie.

I think I may need a bit of practice before I quilt the hearts. I should practice on several machines to decide which one will do the job the best. Of course Mom will help with controlling the fabric. I doubt if she will do any free motion and I would be afraid for her to do it. She doesn't remember to keep her hands out of the way and she forgets which way the hand wheel turns. When she did the blocks I had to clean out a lot of thread nests in the bobbin area. She would stop and say I think the machine is too old for this. Then I would remind her that the machine I've been working on in the kitchen is 5 years older than she is... Her eyes get so bright when we do this project together and that is good for the dementia. Mom has 12 great grand kids. I wonder how many quilts we will get made. All of them are going to have to be simple quilts made of fabric on hand for sure. Mom has always just tied her quilts so quilting this one will be a new thing for Mom. When I was a kid all we had was two pieces of fabric with thick wool batting tied together with wool yarn and called them quilts or comfortors. This quilt is a new project for Mom. She has upholstered a couch and mended a camper top with that Featherweight. That sewing machine has seen much better days. But this is her first quilt.
What great memories of projects she's done!! Bless her