Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh no, no, no, no! >

Oh no, no, no, no!

Oh no, no, no, no!

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=mme3924;7305516]>>>>>The good news is that even though bindings cut on the straight of grain do wear more quickly
Old 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use straight grain binding all the time and have never had an issues. Granted, I usually do cross-grain as well, but see no reason why length-wise should not work just as well. Take a deep breath, grab that whiskey and relax!
I agree same with me.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 PM

I have done that time and time again, worked out fine.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I know people who *prefer* to bind as you described, and have never heard of it being an issue in real life.

I have *read* about straight-grain binding wearing more quickly than bias, but I have a suspicion it is a rumour concocted by the same people who recommend always cutting border joins on the diagonal 'because it makes them less obvious' (on rare occasions maybe, depending on the fabric pattern, but otherwise it just uses more fabric - so you have to buy more & spend more money)

So my answer would be: leave it as it is.
I agree, leave it as it is. That baby won't care.

But to answer the question about straight grain wearing more than bias. It's true, not a rumor. I have a quilt made by my DH's aunt back in the 30's. The quilt was well used, the binding is torn all along the binding edge. Why? When you do a binding on the SOG, there is only one thread that runs along the fold. That thread gets worn from use and it breaks. The binding loses it's strength and rips apart. When you make a binding on the bias, the threads are criss-cross all along the folded edge. There are hundreds of threads.... number is strength and that binding will hold together even if it starts to wear.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM

My sister in law cuts all her bindings this way and has always done so. Good thing you posted your dilemma. Unsewing is not our favourite thing to do.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM

I have always cut mine on the straight of the grain, have never heard that it needed to be cut any other way. I have quilts handed down in my family that were cut that way and they have not worn any faster than any other quilts I have and they have been washed so vary many times and used a lot over the years.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I have always cut mine on the straight of the grain, have never heard that it needed to be cut any other way. I have quilts handed down in my family that were cut that way and they have not worn any faster than any other quilts I have and they have been washed so vary many times and used a lot over the years.
And I can testify that I have quilts with binding cut on SOG that the binding needs to be replaced and aren't antiques and probably only get washed 4 times per year. All the wear is on the outer edge. But this was done with low quality fabric from JAF. I do believe had I cut the binding on the bias it probably would have worn better. I will see if I can't post photos of it once I get home to show.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I've only made binding on the bias when it's striped and on a curve. if I have to do straight of grain, I've never had a problem.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I've only made binding on the bias when it's striped and on a curve. if I have to do straight of grain, I've never had a problem.