Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oil Maintenance on Long Arm Machine? >

Oil Maintenance on Long Arm Machine?

Oil Maintenance on Long Arm Machine?

Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Default Oil Maintenance on Long Arm Machine?

My long arm King Quilter just hit 8 hours and the message came up "Oil Maintenance Due" I can not find anything in the manual or on line for this. I do add the drops of oil after each quilt as outlined in the manual, before I call the dealer can anyone tell me what this means? Thanks in advance
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I would call the dealer. Different machine brands have different requirements, and there may even be different versions of the same machine. Or your machine may just be reminding you to do what you're already doing.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

How old is your machine? Older machines may have an oil reservoir that needs to be topped up, similar to cars. Newer machines have self-contained oil reservoirs and oil-impregnated bushings. If you purchased your machine from a dealer, definitely give them a call.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM

Definitely call the dealer, but my Bernina has a counter and it will tell me it's time to oil after a certain number of stitches, regardless of whether I've been doing it consistently. It doesn't know that I've been oiling, and simply pops up the message every x stitches (or maybe hours). So I just use that as a gentle reminder, and dismiss the message (unless I missed oiling last time I changed the bobbin).
Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM

Krista is right. Your machine probably has an automatic reminder. My LA manufacturer recommends oiling every 8 hours of use but I oil every time I use it, like you do. My dealer told me he's seen machines in bad shape because they weren't oiled enough but never saw one messed up because it was oiled too much.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 AM

Thank you all, I have sent an email to the dealer and await an answer. I will continue to oil after each project until told other wise.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 AM

I'm glad you brought this up, I think I will call about my different brand long arm. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 AM

Have you been re-setting the maintenance (oiling) timer on your machine when you do oil it? Most of the "hobby" mid and long arms have a timer built in that will stop the machine after 8 hours of use for you to clean and oil it. I re-set that timer on mine every time I oil it.......