Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok I know there are no stupid questions.   BUT: >

Ok I know there are no stupid questions. BUT:

Ok I know there are no stupid questions. BUT:

Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM

Question Ok I know there are no stupid questions. BUT:

So I'm very new to quilting in fact I have not quilted before. Well maybe in my dreams. Always wanted to learn how to. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start. Well any way enough about me. My 1st question? I have seen jelly rolls. ( not the ones you eat lol lol lol I guess you know this already) How long are they and how wide are they. I'm sure they are used for strip quilting are there other uses for them in the quilt world binding, edging and such? My 2nd question? Are there any standards for edging your quilt? I'm thinking of doing a 8 inch block and doing the double Hour glass. I wanted to do a queen size but just talked myself out of it for my first quilt. The pattern looks easy enough watched a wonderful helpful video on it. Did I make any sense or am I just babbling... again.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Sorry I cannot answer your questions, but just wanted to tell you that you have come to the right place for the answers.
Someone here always has the answer, & everyone is more than happy to help. So just wait & you will get answers to
both of your questions. Happy quilting!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Jelly rolls are cut 2-1/2 inches wide and length is the WOF (width of fabric) - usually between 40-42" long.

I do use them for binding sometimes, and also for sashing (strips between blocks in the body of the quilt). I use them less often for borders (which I think is what you mean by "edging"?) because I prefer one long piece of fabric for borders but I HAVE used them there and there's no reason not to.

It's cheaper to cut your own strips, but sometimes the convenience and/or variety of a jelly roll is just the ticket.

Standards for edging...not sure if you mean binding or borders? You can do with or without both of those things, as it happens.... Many modern quilts have no borders, and for binding you can do the "birther" method where you sew it together inside out and then flip it; OR you can bring your backing around to the front as sort of a false or faux binding.

Tons of options! The "right" way is the way that works. ;-)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

jelly rolls are 2 1/2" strips X width of fabric- so generally about 42" long. there are many patterns out now days for using the pre-cuts- you can use them anywhere a 2 1/2" strip is needed- or you can trim them down to 2" or 1 1/2" strips (honey buns) not sure what you mean by 'edging' your quilt- adding borders? generally you don't want to border to over power the blocks- and often the border measurement is an amount that will 'go into' the size of a block (like a 12" block can 'handle' a 6", 4", 3" or 2" border) a 9" block generally goes well with 4 1/2" or 3" borders- but there are always exceptions. if by 'edging' you meant your binding- some people cut their binding strips 2 1/2" wide- others prefer a narrower binding- strips are cut, joined, pressed (wrong sides together) then the raw edges are placed even with the outer edge of the quilt- stitched to the front of the quilt (after the quilt has been quilted & trimmed/squared up) then folded over to the back & hand stitched down. there are lots of tutorials when you have your quilt all quilted & ready for the binding- don't worry about it until it's time.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Oh my thanks for the info. I just started on the board and am learning so much. I meant to say binding and borders I guess. Now I know that there are sashings between the blocks. Oh I'm learning so much Thank you every one.I think I will cut my own strips. I buy a block of cheese then grate it my self cause of the price. lol lol lol
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
jelly rolls are 2 1/2" strips X width of fabric- so generally about 42" long. there are many patterns out now days for using the pre-cuts- you can use them anywhere a 2 1/2" strip is needed- or you can trim them down to 2" or 1 1/2" strips (honey buns) not sure what you mean by 'edging' your quilt- adding borders? generally you don't want to border to over power the blocks- and often the border measurement is an amount that will 'go into' the size of a block (like a 12" block can 'handle' a 6", 4", 3" or 2" border) a 9" block generally goes well with 4 1/2" or 3" borders- but there are always exceptions. if by 'edging' you meant your binding- some people cut their binding strips 2 1/2" wide- others prefer a narrower binding- strips are cut, joined, pressed (wrong sides together) then the raw edges are placed even with the outer edge of the quilt- stitched to the front of the quilt (after the quilt has been quilted & trimmed/squared up) then folded over to the back & hand stitched down. there are lots of tutorials when you have your quilt all quilted & ready for the binding- don't worry about it until it's time.
Thank you for the info. Like I said I just started learning and I do not want to try anything till I learn a bit more. I have a good eye for color but every thing else is a mystery to me.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM

This place is a great resource! Main piece of advice I have is have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty much anything is fixable, or at least can be disguised as a 'design feature'!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM

As others have said, jelly rolls are 2 1/2 inches wide and 40-42 inches long. Keep in mind they can be cut in a variety of ways for quilt patterns, not just for straight strip sewing. They are the standard size for binding strips, but to me that is not an economical way to use them. The jelly rolls I have purchased are name brand manufacturers/pattern and so are pricy and you can cut binding strips from less expensive fabrics. I bought charms and jelly rolls when I first started quilting as it was an easy way to get coordinating fabrics and I wasn't confident in selecting fabrics. But now I would never buy them and really enjoy the fabric selecting process.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mama879 View Post
I think I will cut my own strips. I buy a block of cheese then grate it my self cause of the price. lol lol lol
A few years ago I started cutting a strip from every piece of fabric I buy. I now have quite a collection.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 PM
QM
Power Poster

The advantage of jelly rolls is that you get a lot of related strips of different colors at once. Not all brands are evenly cut, however and you can't prewash without a lot of trouble. IMHO, FQs (fat quarters, 18x22") are a better bet for quick variety. I recently went to JoAnns and bought 20 1/4 or 1/2 yard pieces for a crazy quilt. It took forever but was worth it to me. Jelly rolls are a marketing tool and may not be the best way for you to go. I recently ordered 4 'layer cake" packs (10" square pieces) which were perfect for making 8 4" half square triangle units from pairs of fabrics. (although I did not prewash, a definite disadvantage)

IMHO, you are better off deciding on your pattern, then working from there for your fabric needs.

many places have patterns rated by difficulty. My teacher recommended www.quilterscache.com.