Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok I know there are no stupid questions.   BUT: >

Ok I know there are no stupid questions. BUT:

Ok I know there are no stupid questions. BUT:

Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM

I think you are wise to talk yourself out of a queen size for your first quilt. You will learn a lot from doing your first quilt, and if it is a small one, you will finish quickly and be ready for something bigger. By then you will have a better idea of what you want to tackle.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
Do not be intimidated by anything you want to try. And you've come to the right place for answers.
Any time you have a question somebody here (usually quite a few people) will have the answer or advice you need. And we are full of opinions too!
Have fun and enjoy learning.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 PM

I would suggest doing the pattern you're thinking in maybe a lap size to start. I firmly believe that you should make something you like regardless of what the 'grade level' might be and your relationship to it. If you like it, you'll be more likely to finish. JMHO. Good luck. Jump in. You'll have fun.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Just wanted to say Welcome to the board, and am looking forward to seeing pictures of your first Quilt!!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! I am fairly new myself but already consider myself addicted . I won't offer much advice except to say I wouldn't start with a queen size. I started with a sampler from Alex Andersens book " Start Quilting" because I wanted to take a beginner class and that's the lap quilt that the teacher used. I like the variety if blocks' and yet i, if the quilt were any larger , I think I would have been discouraged since everything takes longer when you're new. Besides, if your machine doesn't have a large enough throat Soave (ie the space from needle over to the main part, it can be really challenging to push and pull and pivot a big quilt through there. I would start with something no bigger than 40x40. You'll be eager to show off your creation and move on to your next one.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:22 AM

....you might also go to your local library and get some "getting started at quilting" type books. One of my fav authors for beginners, and also us seasone, quilters is Eleanor Burns...her books have lots of pics, great explanations, and rather easy patterns. Tutes are good, but books a re a great reference have . And learning the correct way of doing anything is always the best way...have fun on your journey....just do one step at a time.......
Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM

I have a different drummer in my mind. I've found that if you really love the quilt and have a purpose for it, then it doesn't matter what the size is. You have already mentally set yourself for success. You know what you want and how big. Go for it. When I taught quilting I found the above to be very true.

Next is my best hint: Make at least 1 practice block [or set of blocks] with whatever other material you have. Master the block[s] and then you are ready to go.

One of my friends prefers to cut for only 5 blocks at a time and do chain stitching. She says that way she doesn't get tired of cutting or sewing. For her it is a real acventure.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
SSK

I totally agree with Elenore Burns, When I was learning I did her Underground Railroad quilt. Learned so much.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Thank you all for your support. I have already decided to go smaller. I'm looking to start this weekend. First I get to go on a buying spree. Yipppee
I have my colors in mind. I have log cabin theme in our bedroom. So I'm thinking browns, tans and greens. Have some wonder coupons and there is a sale going on. Yiiipppiii! I will start my stash. I will cut all my own pcs. I did some searching and found most of all the precuts to expensive.
Will have so much fun this weekend I want to start some of the squares.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Woohoo! Mama, I can TELL you're excited! I'm excited for you!! You're going to be dreaming about quilting soon, if you aren't already!

Enjoy your new addiction!! You've found a great group of enablers, lol.