Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old quilt: identification and restoration input appreciated >

Old quilt: identification and restoration input appreciated

Old quilt: identification and restoration input appreciated

Old 08-15-2014, 04:58 AM

What fun! How lucky you are to find such a treasure! My family has always moved a lot so there's nothing like that to find. I think it's quite attractive, I have pictures of my great grandmother with her mother and grandmother. The fabrics in your quilt remind me of their dresses.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:07 AM

Gorgeous quilt, love the colors. Too bad about the backing though. A lot of time and love went into that quilt you can see.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 AM

You could check with your state historical society. They could put you in contact with the right people.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:46 AM

I would put a new backing on it. The top seems to be in good shape still...
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM

I think I would put a new backing on it and maybe use buttons to quilt it...I don't think with it's age that overall quilting would be advisable due to it's age....
Old 08-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

There is a book probably only available on the second had market called: Quilt Restoration, a Practical Guide by Camille Dalphond Cognac. I took a lecture from her at Quilt Market in 1994. She goes thru the options of when, where and how to save a quilt and if the damage is too great other options.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM

I think you have a wonderful treasure here, and I would definitely have it appraised, and even consider having it restored. It is, after all, a family heirloom, and a good quilt appraiser could date the fabric for you, and add to the history of the quilt.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I am not a quilt appraiser, so I do not know the value of this Carpenter's Wheel quilt. It's beautiful. If it were my quilt I would add a new backing over the old one, then since you said there is minimal quilting, I would quilt it over the new backing, first by SID around the blocks. Hope this helps as it's a beautiful quilt, even if it is just displayed over a quilt rack or a guest bedroom bed, it needs to be seen and enjoyed.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I am not a quilt appraiser, so I do not know the value of this Carpenter's Wheel quilt. It's beautiful. If it were my quilt I would add a new backing over the old one, then since you said there is minimal quilting, I would quilt it over the new backing, first by SID around the blocks. Hope this helps as it's a beautiful quilt, even if it is just displayed over a quilt rack or a guest bedroom bed, it needs to be seen and enjoyed.
Just a gorgeous quilt! And obviuosly sentimental value. I'd definitely get into touch with an expert quilt restoration person to talk about options. That being said, I'm thinking from the pictures of the top that it appears that the top is made out of a silk or satin? Are you familiar with fabrics and can tell whether it's cotton or something else? I know from working as a history museum intern decades ago, that often the turn of the century "dress-up" clothing was made out of a silk weave that tended to be rather heavy. This special fabric was often used in other items after being worn out by the wearer--so it's possible it's older than 1920's--but if that is the case, it also means that it's more fragile because it will "shatter" more easily. Love the quilt!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Wow, that is a gorgeous quilt. I would put another back on it and then display it on a bed or a quilt rack, out of direct sunlight. And refold it periodically when it is on display. It is such a stunning quilt.