Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Older Viking Sewing Machine - Apparently Not

The other day I started a thread about how I was offered an
    older Viking sewing machine. Well, I picked it up and brought it home and started researching my model and serial numbers only to find out it is not a Viking machine. :cry: (even though it says Viking on the front).
    The machine says Domestic on the back. So, I did some online digging around and found out I have a Domestic Brand machine, but the serial# is White, but I found the manual for it from Singer. (model#1665, serial #7996)
    Now I am thoroughly confused as to what kind of machine I really have. And I still can't find out how old it is.
    Well, it is metal and well-built, but came with no extras.
    Did I get a good machine? At this point, I am so confused as to what I've ended up with. Can anybody shed any light? Thank you!

White is owned by Viking...if that helps..
    .and since Singer, Viking and Pfaff are all owned by the same company...I would guess that you could get the book from Singer.

I believe Viking was a brand name of Eaton's Department Store in Canada (like Kenmore is to Sears), so it's possible it's a badged machine sold by Eaton's as opposed to a Husqvarna Viking machine. There was a relationship between White and Domestic, and both made good machines.

wow that is all very interesting

That does make sense to me. So, IYHO, do you think it would be a good, solid machine -worth getting tuned up???
    Thanks for the info by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Sewing Joe
    I believe Viking was a brand name of Eaton's Department Store in Canada (like Kenmore is to Sears), so it's possible it's a badged machine sold by Eaton's as opposed to a Husqvarna Viking machine. There was a relationship between White and Domestic, and both made good machines.

I'm a bad one to ask. I think petty much all older machines are worth putting in working order. Typically they need little more than a good lubrication job.