Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Iron for Quilting >

Oliso Iron for Quilting

Oliso Iron for Quilting

Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM

I have the yellow one, 2 years now and I love it ... and yes ... if I had to replace it I would replace it with the same iron.

The features I like the best: it STAYS hot - once it has warmed up initially I never have to wait for it to get warm after using it, 30 minute shut off timer - some irons just shut off too quickly, 12' long cord.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 PM

My JoAnn's had the Oliso Pro (yellow) on sale last wk. for $139.99. I thought I wanted one but realized my old Sunbeam works just fine. Have no idea how long I've had it or where it came from.

I recently came across a little travel steam iron at Goodwill for $5 & I love it. Heats up really well. Only prob. is it doesn't hold much water but I don't mind. I love that sm. size & use it most of the time now.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
I tried lifting one in the store and found it too heavy for me. Since we use our iron a lot I want something lite.
That's the beauty of the OLISO. You don't HAVE to lift it .
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM

I felt the same way (Price) esp. after spending a fortune on a rowenta. The rowenta is still working many years later-it just isn't awesome. I got a gift card to Amazon and decided to try the blue (least expensive) Oliso. At first it was hard to get used to it popping up all the time, but once you do it's great. Cuts down on fatique. $99 free shipping on Amazon. It doesn't get as hot as the pricey OLISO, but it gets hot enough. You can shut off the pop up feature. If youre going to be doing a lot of stop and start pressing with a few seconds in between to rearrange shut it off or the constant activity will drive you nuts. It's been a few years and it works fine. The pop up feature is really nice if you're ironing a lot of strips or small peaces. Perfect for sewing. Not sure it makes a difference for ironing laundry - but then again I don't iron laundry LOL.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
That's the beauty of the OLISO. You don't HAVE to lift it .
You have to a little, right? Or the little legs will push on the edges of your block or whatever you're ironing. If the item is big, like yardage, then you only have to lift once but you do have to lift. And if you're pressing blocks, you have to lift at least once for every block and more if the block is small. Otherwise the iron will keep folding up the edges.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
You have to a little, right? Or the little legs will push on the edges of your block or whatever you're ironing. If the item is big, like yardage, then you only have to lift once but you do have to lift. And if you're pressing blocks, you have to lift at least once for every block and more if the block is small. Otherwise the iron will keep folding up the edges.
I haven't noticed needing to pick it up. As soon as u barely touch it- it drops and the legs disappear. Then u slide it to whatever u are ironing. If you switch off the pop up feature the u would have to pick it up. It did take me awhile
To get used to it popping up. Now I like it a lot. You let go it pops up and after a set time (8 or 30 min depending on the price) it shuts off in the horizontal position. Really a time saver too. You just leave it in place. As for the weight it's about 4 pounds. The same or less as comparable irons. Maybe you have a friend who could let u try one.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 AM

haha. I know not a single person that sews other than my sister, who lives 3000 miles away. Even so, there's zero chance I'd ever spend that much money on an iron. In fact, I plan to start scouring thrift and antique shops for old antique irons that still work.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM

I just thought of something else. For quilting, you aren't supposed to slide the iron back and forth but you're supposed to just press by setting the iron down on the block and lifting it back up. I admit I do slide the iron but for pressing purists, they would definitely have to lift the iron to do pressing without sliding.