Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions about baby quilt >

Opinions about baby quilt

Opinions about baby quilt

Old 03-31-2015, 01:25 PM

Default baby blanket

I like the second one better. And, I can just see the baby on her tummy, scratching at all the vibrant colors..you know how they scratch-touch at things?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:51 PM

Babys and children love a variety of colors. I have seen little ones trying to pick up the darker shades in a quilt. I tend to make my baby quilts with a variety of darks and lights and well quilted to last being dragged and loved on
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 PM

Seven years ago, I made a brightly colored quilt for my husband's great grandson. I sent it out and was told that the baby didn't like it. He cried whenever he was put down on the quilt. They live far from us and we can't get to visit them, but everyone who has ever visited has not seen the quilt. I purchased the most expensive fabric in the LQS and I loved it. I thought he would be able to see the colors and look at them, but that's all I ever heard about it. It ran $300+ for the fabrics involved and I hand quilted it. I had all the bright basic colors in it: yellow, orange, red, blue, green, purple. It was 6 inch blocks of each color and put together in the form of steps--really cute and large enough to be used for a long long time. I was really hurt and so have never made another one and there was another little boy came along 3 years later. Needless to say, he didn't get a quilt, but I was hoping he mignt like his brother's. Never heard another word. Now they are coming to visit this summer and want to stay with us. Do you girls think I should ask about the quilt? lol (but not laughing really). By the say, I, too, love the second picture, but they are all really really great and every one would be nice.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM

They don't look like a child's quilts. It will be washed so much by the time she is 7 it will be worn out. Make a baby quilt now and you can make her another one later.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:45 PM

I've seen the first layout done with sashing between the squares, and it totally changed the look--it was lovely that way! Something to consider.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM

I also like the second layout best. And I don't see anything wrong with using mostly mediums since they are brights. Since you are going to be adding additional blocks, you can try varying the value in those blocks and perhaps alternating them with these in your final layout. Going to be a delightful quilt!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:01 AM

The young moms I know aren't into traditional pastel pinks and blues. I get the best comments about non-traditional baby quilts! I really like the second layout. I do agree that you could mix it up more with some different values in additional blocks, but that wouldn't be critical. Do you FMQ? Doing a lot of soft rounded quilting would soften the lines. The idea of applique on top would be cute too.

pam
Old 04-01-2015, 11:12 AM

Wow! So many responses! Thank you everyone for taking to time to comment. I appreciate them all and will seriously consider the suggestions. I was happy to know others have made scrappies for baby quilts, too. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 AM

I like the on point version. It does offer the opportunity to use sashing and/or cornerstones for different looks. Lots of design opportunities.