Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on the HQ 16 longarm machine? >

Opinions on the HQ 16 longarm machine?

Opinions on the HQ 16 longarm machine?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM

I am looking into buying an HQ 16. This is the only machine I am considering right now because I won't be buying it new, I can't afford to look at new machines right now. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the HQ 16, do you like it? If you had it to do again would you still buy that one? What's your favorite thing about it? Has it held up for you? Do you feel like you can quilt any size quilt with professional quality on it?

I usually only have a very small quilting budget for fabric, but we just found out that we have a little extra money coming in one lump, so hubby offered this up for me (though he says my quilting budget per month still won't be increased :( :( :)). I thought I should take advantage of his kindness while I could!! :) I know this has probably been asked before and I will do a search too, but I am excited to see people's opinions about it!

Thanks everyone!!
Rachel
Old 07-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Do a search using the search feature.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 PM

i have the hq16 and i love it the only thing is you cannot do the large king size quilts
Old 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM

My friend has had one for several years and she loves it. I have used it once and found it very easy to use. Now I'm just waiting for her to come home so we can finish redoing her sewing studio and get it set up again!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

I have the Fusion and I have a friend that has the HQ16. We both love our machines.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

i have had my HQ16 for 6 years now, and i do KING size quilts all the time, i don't know why someone couldn't...maybe her table isn't big enough? we built my table i don't have the one you get from handi quilter; i have had a good time with my machine and can do very good work...the issues i have had are:
1)no tech support...there is nowhere near where i live to work on it when there's a problem. i have to call Utah and troubleshoot long distance....which has been successful, they are very helpful and responsive when i've had to call
if i were to do it over i don't know that i would buy the same machine, i think i would have shopped around a little more, and found something where i could get parts and service locally.
2).............
hmmmmmmmmmmm i guess there aren't any more issues. i believe it is a great (beginner) machine, it does not have all the bells and whistles of one of the big gammils but you can do beautiful work with it, i set it up myself (with lifting help it is heavy) i bought it new and it was shipped in boxes from utah to michigan. i had problems at first but those should be all worked out of a used one.
oh, there is one other issue....and i can't fix this one...makes me mad...
in my handle bars are lights; rows of little led lights, they started burning out, so when i contacted the company to find out about getting lights replaced i was told that was an upgrade, they no longer have/ or use those lights, i have to buy new handle bars, ($700+)now the lights are in little pods and they can be pulled out and replaced, my little rows are obsolete. the machine still works just fine but slowly and surely my lights are burning out. i just put more light in the room :)
if possible try the machine out before you buy it, i took a class in a shop in Florida on vacation, and ordered the machine, had it shipped from Utah to Michigan....really dumb way to do it....the shop offered a really good deal and i did not consider maintence needs.
the pictures of my sister's quilt i just finished show stitching on the HQ16
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have had my HQ16 for 6 years now, and i do KING size quilts all the time, i don't know why someone couldn't...maybe her table isn't big enough? we built my table i don't have the one you get from handi quilter; i have had a good time with my machine and can do very good work...the issues i have had are:
1)no tech support...there is nowhere near where i live to work on it when there's a problem. i have to call Utah and troubleshoot long distance....which has been successful, they are very helpful and responsive when i've had to call
if i were to do it over i don't know that i would buy the same machine, i think i would have shopped around a little more, and found something where i could get parts and service locally.
2).............
hmmmmmmmmmmm i guess there aren't any more issues. i believe it is a great (beginner) machine, it does not have all the bells and whistles of one of the big gammils but you can do beautiful work with it, i set it up myself (with lifting help it is heavy) i bought it new and it was shipped in boxes from utah to michigan. i had problems at first but those should be all worked out of a used one.
oh, there is one other issue....and i can't fix this one...makes me mad...
in my handle bars are lights; rows of little led lights, they started burning out, so when i contacted the company to find out about getting lights replaced i was told that was an upgrade, they no longer have/ or use those lights, i have to buy new handle bars, ($700+)now the lights are in little pods and they can be pulled out and replaced, my little rows are obsolete. the machine still works just fine but slowly and surely my lights are burning out. i just put more light in the room :)
if possible try the machine out before you buy it, i took a class in a shop in Florida on vacation, and ordered the machine, had it shipped from Utah to Michigan....really dumb way to do it....the shop offered a really good deal and i did not consider maintence needs.
the pictures of my sister's quilt i just finished show stitching on the HQ16
Thanks so much for your thoughts!! The woman selling the one I want says she has quilted quilts that were 105 wide, so I think she has a large enough table to do Kings too. It sounds like one of your biggest issues with the machine is that you don't have local service, which, luckily, I would. There is a shop that sells (and I assume does service too) these machines right in the next town over. They do classes and stuff too, so I think I would have a lot of support there even though I am buying used, I am sure they will still be able to help me out should I need it. The biggest thing I have to worry about is finding a place for it in my condo!! :)

Thanks!!
Rachel
Old 07-03-2010, 09:22 AM

my kings to get the drop i want measure 113 at least
my dh is going to enlarge my table when he can i dio have a 12 foot table
Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by chewboo
my kings to get the drop i want measure 113 at least
my dh is going to enlarge my table when he can i dio have a 12 foot table
I should have thought of that, of course you can do kings! My friend just asked us to come up with a 14 foot surface with storage under it, so it has to be that big.

We are getting her the Ikea ones like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70103085, turned over on their sides. 4 of them with a smaller one on the end will give her a TON of storage and my hubby is going to make her a table top for it.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

the largest quilt i have quilted on my hq-16 was 116"x120" , i don't think it has anything to do with the machine, it has to do with how large your table is you are set up on...my table is 14 feet long. the room it is in is too small, the table is angled from corner to corner with just enough space for me to get around one end. someday i will have a big enough room for it, but it works fine, and with local tech support and available classes i think you are looking at a great investment!