Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters >

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Old 06-29-2016, 03:10 PM

I thought I usually have a few things going (altho sometimes most of them are 'going' in my head ) But after reading your initial post and several of the answers, I looked around my sewing room and realized that I do usually work on one thing at a time--unless an emergency like a quickly needed baby quilt or BOM intervenes. I also work better in a clean (well, more or less--if it was totally clean, it wouldn't be mine!) sewing room. A few things that I do:

Before starting a new project I tidy my work space as much as possible. I try to keep only the necessary tools, fabric, rulers and pattern on my table. And having read that sentence again, I realize that, what has been bothering me for the last two days is, that I am not using my usual cutting space. I will rectify that tomorrow.

Bobbins!! Zozee had it right. I try to fill a couple or three bobbins at a time because an empty one can be as bad as a cow on the railway tracks! Taking the time to fill at the end of a day really really helps!

I find repetition can also be a mood killer. Since my current project has four specific steps, I broke it down. I need 32 strip sets of 6 fabrics. 1. cut the strips for 11 strip sets 2. sew and press them 3.cut the necessary shapes from them 4. sew the shapes into rows and press. Repeat. I will assemble the quilt once all the rows are completed.

I do have some UFO's. One was supposed to be a QAYG reversible quilt (and may still end up that way) but I do not think I have the skills to quilt each block as I envision. Another is just missing the final row. It was done at a retreat and I ran out of fabric. By the time I got more, the Muse had moved on. And the final is an idea--fabric, drawings etc all put into a tote until that pesky Muse decides the time is right.

I do have a couple--well, three--projects that are on-going. One is hand pieced hexies. I have not been as diligent at working on them as I should, but they are a great portable project. The second is a challenge put out by my sister--Anita's arrowhead blocks--but my vision of the finished project has mushroomed. The third is 9 patches using scraps. The last two projects are 'fillers'--when I don't have anything else really going. They will get to where they have to be eventually, and I am happy with that.

Thanks for wading thru all my meanderings and I hope that you found a kernel or two of wisdom within, that will help you.

Last edited by GingerK; 06-29-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:05 PM

I think I generally work one one top at a time because I don't like to look at a lot of clutter. After each one I clean up, put away all scraps, notes, etc before I get out the fabric for the next. I think I play the head-game with myself to withhold the pleasure of starting on a new project until I have 'earned' it by finishing the current one. I think it helps that most of the time I am making a quilt for a gift or charity so have a deadline date of when it is needed. by nature I am pretty disciplined, not a procrastinator, and get pleasure from crossing things off my to do list. So all that being said, it may be more of a function of our personalities, and I say do it whichever way makes you happy!!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:13 PM

If you finish 2 for every one you start, eventually you will have only one you are working on! Trying it!! Ann
Old 06-29-2016, 05:14 PM

I am a one at a timer. I have cut, piece and then quilt before starting something else. This summer I have completed two tops and plan to hand quilt them when its cold out and I'm inside more. Its bothering me that I have these "undone". I get distracted with multiple projects, it stays on my mind what needs to be completed. So, I believe its personal preference and what is comfortable.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:41 PM

I usually have a couple of quilts going at one time. My claim to fame is that I have never had a quilt started that I didn't finish within the year. There are always interruptions of small projects -- usually mending donation quilts that were turned in with problems. For those I give myself a deadline of the next meeting of that group, so that I can get them out of the house. Other than that I have a "quilting cycle". Because almost all of my quilts are given to the Bible camp quilt auction, which is held annually, that is the last step in my cycle. Before they go there, most of them are entered in the fair. So everything is first finished for the fair, and I have all year to plan, start, and complete them. I won't leave a fair quilt undone, because it means that it would have to go to the auction having lost its chance for exhibit first.

Of course, baby quilts for family members enter into the mix. If only I could get people to let me know about their pregnancy 11 or 12 months before the baby is born, so that the baby doesn't come before the fair. Ha!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:33 PM

My work life was customer service and I had to move quickly between tasks which equaled stress. Since I haven't worked this last year I decided to slow things down and savor my time in the quilt cave. I had 6 tops ready to quilt, 4 tops ready to piece and 3 projects semi-started. I gave away one top and decided to finish everything before I began anything new. I joined the Git Er Done club on the Missouri Star Quilt Forum. I divided up all the tasks and have been methodically working. It's working for me because I feel more satisfied concentrating on one quilt. My sense of accomplishment is greater, I feel peaceful and unhurried which means less mistakes. I do look forward to getting to some new projects but it feels really good that the pressure is off as far as feeling that I have to work on multiple projects. Going forward I think I will be a person who does only one quilt at a time.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 PM

We are all different and that is a good thing. There is no problem with having multiple unfinished projects--unless it bothers you that you have many unfinished projects and want to do things differently. I personally am not able to work on more than one or two projects at a time. It makes me very nervous and the enjoyment is gone. My reward for finishing a quilt is to clean my sewing area up and put everything away. It feels so good. Then I begin planning the next quilt. I am finishing hand quilting a quilt currently. I have to admit I have grown a little weary and am anxious to finish. I have the pattern for a throw I plan to begin when I am through, but I will finish hand quilting first. I would not be happy otherwise. I don't know if it is self discipline or self preservation.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM

At present I have 4 projects in boxes ready to go. One is a delphquilt which needs the borders on when they are quilted but I'm having bad shoulder problems and can't man handle them at the moment. I did this u with no other projects at all. I managed it because I took classes each month when we had four blocks to do each month.they did take a great deal of time.the boxes are my next projects with pattern and fabric ready to go. I've appliquéd jungle patches s now need to quilt down, zig zag stitch. I just concentrate on one and purchase fabric and pattern for other projects but don't start until other is finished or as Delph quilt left due to illness.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm a finisher. When I start a quilt, my interest is in working on that quilt, not starting another. Occasionally (like now) I have several completed tops to be quilted, but they will all be quilted in a reasonable time. That's just my nature. The only exception is when I take a class to learn a new technique, and after the class I decide that I don't want to continue with that technique. That project may never be finished, but it wasn't started as a quilt; it was started as a learning exercise, and in that sense it is finished.

The downside of this is that I have trouble deciding what to make next, since once I start I will be committed to finishing. Starting has always been much harder for me than finishing.

I think there is a big difference between the person who has 10 projects going at once, but who finishes all 10, and the person who seldom finishes anything, but keeps starting new projects. Still, if both people are happy with their hobby then all is good.
This is true. I was so surprised when I walked into my husband's mom's husband's (technically, FIL, -but the remarriage was after my husband wasn't living at home, so he refused to call him his step-father), wood workshop. We had never known he even liked to work with wood, as we've never seen anything he's finished from it. But it's his money, his house, and his time. I figure if he is happy about having such a beautiful workshop, then all is well!
Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 AM

I will pitch in here...there are multiple BOM and the Splendid Sampler which is going all year long, on the 'net. While I used to think I was a multiple top at a time person, this would drive me crazy. I am saving the BOMs I am interested in a file, and when they are finished giving us everything, I can decide once and for all, if I want to do it. Then, I will.

I am part of a FB group where they are doing BAD - Block A Day--and I don't like it. Once again, I thought it would be nice, but it is the last I will do of this kind. I want to just "do it" and get it done, and go on. Instead, I have to always put my stuff in one place, and inevitably, I've either used the fabric I wanted to use for it on something else, or I've misplaced part of what I was working on. I am much happier NOT doing a BAD. However, I don't mind having about 3-4 at once - working on the tops. I don't count a finished top as something I am working on, as I am not working on it--it is all finished and just waiting for the next step.