Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters >

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Old 06-30-2016, 05:12 AM

I might have 2-3 going at once (add an apparel project in there too), but they're all at different stages. Some days I want to piece, some days I want to quilt and some days I want to just pull out scraps and make a pretty one-off block. By having some projects in different stages my creative desire is able to be met. I do not, however, really ever want to cut :P
Old 06-30-2016, 05:26 AM

I don't "work" on one quilt at a time. During any given time I have one on the machine to be pieced, one in the den to hand quilt, one in the planning stages (dreaming to cutting). It is how I do things. It's like I can see how things go together (binding) my SIL can't. So I do her binding, start to finish, she does my cutting (directions) I would go nuts if I had to cut 180 squares. She has no problem. We work differently but we work well together.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
To me quilting is a hobby, a passion, an art. It's ongoing and ever changing. My goal is not to be productive but to be part of it.
I like your view point. Why stress over finishing when the fun is in the doing? Many quilters sew quilt tops and call it done and start another one. Finished can be at any stage.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
Ok. I disagree with all posts after the original poster. The OP asked for ideas. The responses are all about how it won't work if that isn't your nature. Phooeey!
At any point in our lives we can regroup and proceed in a new way. I admire people who have fewer to no UFO's.
I agree with this. We can change if we want to badly enough. A great many people have turned their lives around in a good way. Paul comes to mind.

Now, if only I could make it a point to arrive at appointments and such at least 5 minutes earlier. I'm trying, but not hard enough.

If I'm making a quilt for a deadline, I can get it done. But if I see something cute and want to try it, most likely I will make a block or two to get the pattern in my head and then I see the next cute thing and I'm off to that.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 AM

I am a one at a time -start to finish person. I enjoy seeing it come together and I rarely follow a pattern exactly, if at all. That means I am immersed in every step and sometimes changing things a long the way. For me, having more than one thing going would mean chaos in my sewing room. I want the zen of it. I have to admit that for the first time I just finished 2 quilts at the same time. I had a top done for a bed quilt but before I started the quilting, I put together a top for a baby quilt, then quilted them both. I did this because I only have one machine and didn't want to set it up for quilting, then stop in the middle to piece the baby quilt. So in my mind it was still one project at a time. That's just the way my mind works, I guess. I agree everyone is different and to each his own, but I just don't understand the thought process of having many projects going at once. That would stress me out because my real satisfaction is in the finished product. Maybe it boils down to where a person feels the most accomplishment or satisfaction. In seeing a project done, or in seeing the many possibilities of several projects at once.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
For once in my life, I worked on one quilt only because I wanted to make sure it got done. It took me two weeks and I worked on nothing else. It felt like more of a chore and I didn't enjoy creating this quilt (pattern called New Leaves). I am going to stay away from HST and QST for a while. Just started sewing another strip tube quilt!
Beautiful quilt, Joellyn!!!!

Dina
Old 06-30-2016, 07:30 AM

I work on only one at a time, partly due to having no dedicated sewing room/space, but I'm always working on others in my head at the same time. They become "next" projects, and because I'm eager to get to them, I work faster on the one I'm actually doing. Also, if I had several going, I know myself well enough that I would get bored with one or more and then concentrate only on the one I had more interest in.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 AM

Set yourself up with a reward system. Plan something like 'July I will finish the charity quilts' and when you do (even if it goes into August or ...) give yourself a day at the LQS or spa or whatever you enjoy. If you look at 22 projects to finish, you will be overwhelmed. But, if you can break them into categories, you can handle it. I always say that large projects are like how you eat an elephant - one bite at a time. Also, don't tell yourself that you can not start a new project until all those UFOs are done. This is settings yourself up for failure. Just try to limit the number of projects you start. Remember we have to keep it fun or we will never do it!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:57 AM

Awesome quilt, Joellyn! That's so pretty!
I'm another 'lots of irons' kind of gal, and I'm going to post a pic of how I learned to keep them all from falling on my feet. But first, you have to know that this is the corner of my sewing space that I am least proud of. Ok....my face is a little red.... sigh.....
all these boxes contain projects waiting for.....well waiting for attention. They are in many different stages of completion. Most contain a pattern and all the fabric I will need to complete it. Some contain the pattern and all the fabric already cut into the pieces or applique bits that I need to finish it. One or two contain completed tops waiting for backing, quilting & binding. On my cutting table (which you can't see) is the current project I'm working on. What you also can't see, is another, similar stack. I decided that rather than try to work on one thing at a time (unless there's a deadline, of course) I would just organize it all. Or make myself believe that it is organized. ;} I can walk over, pick a box & start working on whatever is inside. For me....fun!
Ok...no more stalling....here's the pic: (hope I uploaded it right)
Attached Thumbnails wips.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM

I keep reading this thread for words of wisdom. I apparently am a much better starter then a finisher. (Lots of UFO's) Right now, I fear that I'm suffering from a short attention span and lack of motivation. I just keep trying to push through and at least get my odds and ends into finished tops. And, from there, the end goal is finished quilts!