Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters >

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Old 06-30-2016, 01:31 PM

I am a one quilt at a time person. It took me a long time to find my passion and now that I have, I want a finished quilt! I enjoy the whole process but I usually have one in my mind that I will do next. My goal is to learn as much as I can and improve my skills. Since I have retired I can take my time and when I get tired there is always something to do around my house, like my garden right now! I am glad we are all different, never a dull moment!
Old 06-30-2016, 02:12 PM

I have only one quilting project, plus generally a scrappy leaders/enders project, going on at any time. There is also one handwork project at a time. This method works for me, partly because I have a small part of the dining room for sewing and need to keep things organized there.

I only allow myself to buy fabric for the current project and the next one, I don't intend to keep a stash though of course there is leftover fabric from previous projects. Not buying additional fabric can be one key to not starting more projects, assuming that you don't already have a large stash since one cannot cut what they do not own. There is a nice thread of people on fabric buying moratoriums if you would like support to not buy extraneous fabric.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 PM

I have a large family and I make baby quilts, graduation quilts and wedding quilts. I work on 1 quilt at a time because I usually have a list of quilts to make. It gives me satisfaction to mark a quilt off of my "to do" list and then I am free to start the next quilt. I am usually working on one quilt and planning what I want to do for the next quilt on my list. I have a large sewing room (20' by 24') but I don't like clutter on my cutting table and I'm afraid of losing pieces after I cut them. I find that limiting one quilt at a time I am able to enjoy the process and I usually combine quilting and applique so I sew on my machine in the afternoon and I applique during the evening while I watch TV. I find this more relaxing. I use to have a lot of UFO's because I was always signing up for classes. I no longer take the classes and I sign up for classes from Craftsy and I can get inspiration for new ideas but I don't have to complete the project right then like you doing during a regular class.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:32 PM

I have too many projects on the go and too many projects that I want to start. This is my plan for attacking my projects. I updated my quilting log and was really surprised that I had more projects started that I remembered. My goal this year is to half my list of UFOs, so before I can start a new project I must finished 2 projects. Using my quilting log, I pick which UFOs I want to finish and try to work on those two projects. I pick two projects that are different and it gives me some creativity by bouncing between these two projects. I don't berate myself if I work on a third one if I really need variety but I do try to stick to my rule of finishing. Only time will tell if I can reduce the number of UFOs. I think I will always have some UFOs because I like variety but reducing the number of UFOs will reduce my stress and allow me to finish my projects quicker.

Good luck with your challenge and I hope that you will find a method that will help you.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 AM

I agree! As I too am a many irons in the fire, type of person lol! It might work to challenge yourself with one project on a particular day?
Old 07-01-2016, 05:13 AM

I myself could probably never become someone who does only one project at a time. It would require too much discipline. I guess it would be helpful to find something that really interests you. A couple of years ago I found I had way too many UFO"S etc. I made myself finish at least 2 projects to start one. I usually finished more than 2. I have 6 boxes I purchased at JoAnns. They hold most quilt project nicely. They are about 14"square. When they are all full, I won't let myself start anything until I have an empty box to store it in. I usually have a paper pice project going. These are usually something I don't always have the brain to work on all the time. They require too much thought for some times. I always have some sort of charity project going, usually an easy somewhat mindless project etc. Works for me. I know this isn't very helpful for you in the one project at a time question you asked. Maybe if you could limit yourself to less projects? Good luck.
I just don't have the discipline to only do one project.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:17 AM

I don't think you need to use the one at a time approach if it doesn't work for you.

Quilting, especially quilt design, is an iterative process. Sometimes it requires taking a break and working on something else for awhile....at least that's what I tell myself while buried under all these UF Os.

But I imagine that the best way to approach finishing is to set a timeframe for when something needs to be done. Then reward yourself when you meet the goal.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:30 AM

To start with--I have a very small sewing room. I once put pics on here on another section of the board.

Secondly, we were preparing to move across country which forced me to pick up every piece of quilting fabric, tools, etc. Many UFO's were given away as it is expensive to move stuff. I resolved at that time to stop doing this.

I have done BOMs that take months to complete. I don't count them and now chose just one if any. I have a few of my own kits cut and ready to sew. I don't count those either. They are ready to grab and go for a group sewing day.

It has given me more peace. I am mainly a charity quilter so my projects are not complicated. It keeps the mess out of my small space.

If one is happy with many projects---that is fine. I was tired of it and felt like they were all calling to me...lol.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:54 AM

I have many PIGS and I'm not a "finish one before the next one" gal. I'm the type of person who likes to move from one thing to another, sort of juggling the PIGS! When I was working, my job required multi-multi tasking, so that fit right in with what works out best for my personality. When I cleaned my sewing room last year I got rid of a bunch of PIGS and I don't even miss them.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:37 AM

I always work on one quilt at a time. I hand quilt, so I put it next to where I sit to watch television. That way I don't have any UFOs.