Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Order of piecing. >

Order of piecing.

Order of piecing.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:09 AM

It depends on the pattern but I usually complete blocks. I like the variety of that way rather than completing one element of a block over and over again and then going on. It takes longer but I'm not in a race but rather enjoying the journey.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:00 AM

I usually piece for a while - when I get tired of that then I press for a while. Then may assemble the larger blocks or another section of the block. Just to keep if from getting so boring.

Susan
Old 06-28-2015, 06:51 AM

I do total assembly line. all the blocks at once. Pin them all, sew them all, press, then pin components together, sew, press, etc.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Like many others, I make one complete block first as a trial run. Then I chain piece to create 4-6 blocks at a time. I get bored if I try to chain piece all the same pieces for the whole quilt. And by finishing 4-6 blocks at a time I get to see how the finished quilt is coming together.
This is how I like to do my piecing. Just seems like it keeps it more fun to me and spot any problems along the way.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I make one block to see if I even like it and depending on the difficulty if I will make another. The block I don't like will go into the pile of nonos for a nono quilt. A different version of a crazy quilt. Usually ends up as a doggie bed.
but if I like it, I will make more.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 AM

I usually make one or two blocks to see how they will look, then start cutting the entire quilt. Once the pieces are cut and placed in my organizer, I construct one block at a time, then one row, then the next. It seems to break up the boredom a bit and come together quicker. I am least happy with cutting, but do enjoy the whole process. Make it fun for yourself and welcome to our board
Old 06-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Usually, I try to chain stitch all like parts at the same time, but when I made my stack 'n' whack, I sewed two blocks at the same time. That way I could chain stitch until both were completed. If I had made more at once, I may have had a picnic finding the right pieces for each block, because each block is unique. You had better put only the right pieces in each block.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

I do it according to my mood.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 AM

When I do a lot of blocks the same, I usually piece one block completely - just to make sure that I have everything correct. Once I am satisfied that all is well, I chain piece 5 to 10 blocks at a time then complete those .... then start over.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 AM

I make a test block first. Then since most of my quilts are scrappy, I make components so I can blend additional fabrics if needed. Then I make blocks, rows, quilt.