Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Order of piecing. >

Order of piecing.

Order of piecing.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:21 AM

right now, i am making the disappearing hourglass 1, that jenny doan tuted. it is like doing three quilts with all the cutting, sewing, cutting, sewing, then cut it, and sew it.then when you've made 81 blocks like that, you sew them all together. and naturally, they have a kingsize bed! it is for dd who is getting married on the 18th of july. no need to hurry. i'm not sure it will fit in my suitcase, or that i would trust it to the baggage handlers if it did. but then i'll have to entrust it to UPS, or USPS or FedEx. maybe i'll just invite them to move here, lol!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM

I will usually make 1 or 2 blocks to make sure I actually read the instructions correctly so I don't end up with 300 pinwheels that are half the size I need... Don't ask me how I know about that one... Anyway, I'll make a couple of complete blocks and then start chain piecing. Making a couple at first also helps me come up with the most efficient way for me to do the piecing. I'm not one to cut every single piece first before I sew. That has gotten me into trouble, plus cutting is boring.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

For me chain piecing is the way to go when all of your blocks are going to be identical. If they consist of many fabrics and are placed at your discretion I will lay out some if not all of the blocks/pieces and determine where I want fabrics to go.