Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordering my first quilt kit >

Ordering my first quilt kit

Ordering my first quilt kit

Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by piker6ca View Post
Now if I can get my machine quilting better i,d be so happy.
Tom

Tom, I think a lot of us could make that statement! But as everyone always says "Practice, practice, practice" is the answer. Have fun with your kit. I too have bought a few kits and just recenty had one piece of fabric that was a bit skimpy but just made it for the pattern. I am not afraid to swap out kit fabrics for some of my own so I don't get too stressed about that since it only happened that once.

By the way, love your dog! We had a border collie mix once and she was a wonderful dog, not too crazy. Do you work yours?
Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 PM

Yes he works every fall at the golf course chasing geese off the course .
Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 AM
KLO

Good for him! Those bc are great at chasing away the geese. Wish more courses would use them as it is not much fun stepping in the goose "stuff" and it seems like a simpler and less damaging solution. Maybe he is even scaring away geese from my state?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by piker6ca View Post
Thanks every one .
I,m really looking forward to trying this kit .
Now if I can get my machine quilting better i,d be so happy.
Tom
Tom,
The best way to first practice machine quilting is either with (1) quilt sandwiches (1/2-1 yard of 2 different fabrics or muslin with some batting in the middle -- buy cheap fabrics for these since you'll toss them when you're done practicing) or (2) making tiny projects with little to no piecing. Since my siblings both have little ones, I practice quilting patterns by making changing pads. No one ever criticizes the quilting on a changing pad. It can be as horrible & mix-and-match as you can imagine & people are still always grateful for them. I usually cut up old flannel pj's or sheets for the one side & grab a Fat Quarter for the back, plus some scrap batting (or a Craft size batting package). Typically I grab the pre-made binding or even just use pre-packaged bias tape and machine stitch it to the edge. Honestly, babies' poopy bottoms are going on these things. The fabrics don't need to match. The only thing that matters is that the quilting stitches actually form & the binding is securely fastened to the quilt. That's it! So easy & I like that I'm not throwing out fabric just so I can practice. I don't rip out mistakes or anything... very relaxing.

This pattern calls for pre-quilted fabric. I just follow the directions, but do the quilting myself. Sometimes I put on the Velcro, sometimes I tack on a ribbon, sometimes I just give it to the parent/grandparent "as is" & they roll it up or fold it & put it in a drawer.
http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewt...-changing.html
Old 07-19-2015, 12:46 PM

If you are looking for kits that already have the pieces cut, try http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho.../pre-cut-kits/

they are laser cut and very accurate, just make sure you get a pattern with the kit.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:35 PM

I think it depends, some cut, some just have the fabric. I have heard thru the grapevine that connecting threads kits give plenty of fabric.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:50 PM

So it looks like you've gotten great advise about quilt kits, Tom . . .but since you're unsure as yet, about your cutting skills . . .there are several great tutorial videos on Craftsy with great tips on improving rotary cutting skills. I watched one by Camille Roskelley about a year ago, who taught me some new cutting skills that helped me tremendously . . .and I've been quilting over 20 years. We're never too old or too advanced to learn better ways to do things.