View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Bree123

Originally Posted by piker6ca View Post
Thanks every one .
I,m really looking forward to trying this kit .
Now if I can get my machine quilting better i,d be so happy.
Tom
Tom,
The best way to first practice machine quilting is either with (1) quilt sandwiches (1/2-1 yard of 2 different fabrics or muslin with some batting in the middle -- buy cheap fabrics for these since you'll toss them when you're done practicing) or (2) making tiny projects with little to no piecing. Since my siblings both have little ones, I practice quilting patterns by making changing pads. No one ever criticizes the quilting on a changing pad. It can be as horrible & mix-and-match as you can imagine & people are still always grateful for them. I usually cut up old flannel pj's or sheets for the one side & grab a Fat Quarter for the back, plus some scrap batting (or a Craft size batting package). Typically I grab the pre-made binding or even just use pre-packaged bias tape and machine stitch it to the edge. Honestly, babies' poopy bottoms are going on these things. The fabrics don't need to match. The only thing that matters is that the quilting stitches actually form & the binding is securely fastened to the quilt. That's it! So easy & I like that I'm not throwing out fabric just so I can practice. I don't rip out mistakes or anything... very relaxing.

This pattern calls for pre-quilted fabric. I just follow the directions, but do the quilting myself. Sometimes I put on the Velcro, sometimes I tack on a ribbon, sometimes I just give it to the parent/grandparent "as is" & they roll it up or fold it & put it in a drawer.
http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/sewt...-changing.html