Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Orphan Blocks...Suggestions Please

Another idea - although old-fashioned - is to make a cover for a photo album (not too many people have photo albums anymore).
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
    Another idea - although old-fashioned - is to make a cover for a photo album (not too many people have photo albums anymore).
    I've made something similar... a cover for 5x7 notepad, the ones from office supply stores, that also holds a pen and has pockets for coupons or notes. That seems to work pretty well, and more people seem to use them than photo albums like you said.
    Wendy

wow, to think, I almost didn't read this topic thinking, 'gee I have no suggestions. I have the same problem.' then, the lightbulb moment--I got some ideas from you all. So, thanks for starting the topic and for adding to it.

Sounds like you have a wonderful problem on your hands. If you have a few that have similar colors used in a wall hanging or bed quilt maybe you could make decorative pillows. I'd use many of the orphans to make interesting table runners for family members and friends. Or if you have a little girl you could make several Barbie sized quilts just using a few blocks. Or for the stuffed animal lover, you could put 4, 6, or 8 together for a small quilt and then find a cute stuffed bear, cat, dog, whatever to put in it. That would be great for a charity like a children's hospital or something along those lines. Since you have several blocks that are just laying around, make a child happy by creating something just for them.

Wow, super ideas! I have not made enough blocks to have orphan ones. But love all the ideas. Thanks for letting some of us just read a long for the lessons learned, Teresa

My Aunt gave me some sampler blocks that my Great Aunt had made years ago. There wasn't enough to make a quilt or throw out of them, so I made this valance out of some of the blocks. I added a border to another group of blocks and use them as dresser scarves in my guest bedroom. I added the sashing on all the pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

mim
    I take them to my quilt group and someone else will figure out how to put them into one of the charity quilts we make. Every month we do at least 20 quilts to give to the 5 charities we have chosen for the year.
    Mim

Blog Entries
    Most of us have a collection of blocks. I have many and decided to splurge on a table top small quilt hanger from Connecting Threads. It is really cool and will hold up to a 15" block. I am finishing off several individual blocks with borders to bring them to a good size. Using scrap batting and backing, quilting and displaying them as "block studies".
    The hanger looks great on top of my TV cabinet which looks like a jelly cupboard. The hanger cost 16.00.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Don't forget mug rugs! All quilters love them on their sewing tables and other places! They make quick and personal gifts!

Wonderful suggestions and cute pictures of the valance! great idea!
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
    Stay flexible you won't get bent out of shape.

Barking Frog Winery, Carlton, Oregon

Several years ago my guild collected orphan blocks and I got nominated to piece the tops. I sorted the blocks by similar colors or themes (like flowers), picked some sashing that went with the blocks. I used varying widths of sashing since the 12inch blocks were between 10.5 inches and 13 inches. Then I assembled the blocks with a narrow strip of another color of sashing. They looked great -- some were straight set and some on point with a medalian center.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast