Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Orphan Blocks...Suggestions Please

One very idea and I KOW would be appreciated is to turn them into charity quilts. assorted blocks of all kinds are really nice. newborn quilts and preemie ones. You can make the smaller ones for mothers sto wrap there baby's that pass. I make them and I hear the parents really apprecite them

I was sure interested in looking at this wallhanging, but I sure can't find it after searching. Could someone send me a link to it? Thanks.

I used my extra blocks to make bedroom curtains. I am now working on curtains for my sewing room.
    Dirty1mom
    Cleveland, OH

Sorry if this has been posted already, I didn't read every page-

There was a blog hop that did a bunch of tutorials on using one or a few orphan blocks in different projects- it was caleed Farmer's Wife in your life- (using individual blocks from the farmer's wife quilt along)

you can find details and a gallery here: http://www.loveaffairwithmybrother.c...nky-party.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting that link, Hemlock Tea. I hadn't seen that site yet.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread. Mine mainly go for doll quilts. Fortunately the toys around here really appreciate a personal bed cover lol.

Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    I have a box of assorted orphan blocks that just seem to good to throw away, so I'm looking for suggestions from all of you as to small projects I can make with them. Some of them are singles, and some are multiples leftover from the same project. (I did a search on "orphan blocks" here on the QB and only found a few posts of projects using orphan blocks.)

Any and all suggestions welcome! And pics would be even better!!!

I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one with a box or two of these...I'm hoping we can collect some info here for all of us to use.
    Some very simple uses are
    mug rugs,
    table runners if you have 2 or more matching,
    pillow tops,
    pockets for tote bags

If you have several with similar colors------add sashing around the blocks until you have several the same size and make small quilt tops or wall hangings
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

There was a tutorial for a folded nine patch on the Board a while ago. I used it to transform my 12" orphan blocks into potholders. I got some very interesting potholders out of the deal.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey View Post
    One of the best ways to use them that I've ever seen was to buy those reusable tote bags in the "right" colors and then applique an orphan block---or four or six or whatever---over the printing on the bag. Makes a cute tote bag for the cost of the inexpensive bag----and great gifts too!
    Even better, google free tote bag patterns, pick up home dec or canvas remnants at Joann's or other local fabric store and make your own totes. Use orphan blocks as pockets, combine to make fabric panels or applique on side of tote. The ones I make are washable and will last a lot longer than the ones I find for sale at my local stores. Plus they're always in colors and patterns I like so I'm more apt to remember to bring them into the store with me!

P.S. Don't worry about sewing the totes, if you can sew a quilt block you can make a tote, they're almost all just straight seams and turning edges under ... easy peasy! I usually buy webbing (in the lace and trim section) for the handles, it's very sturdy and washes well too.
    Last edited by MdmSew'n'Sew; 04-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Blog Entries

I used some of mine to make microwave bowls for gifts for xmas. The 12 or 13 inch ones are perfect.

Blog Entries
    I just had to come back and tell you all that I actually DID something with one of my blocks today! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t186155.html
    Wendy

ok heres a completely off the wall suggestion- donate them to project linus, or a charity, they will love the donation!
    hugz
    katz

I've made snack mats for my grandson. You can make them reversible (uses up 2 or more orphans). I make them about the size of a sheet of typing paper. It is a good size for a child and fits into a manila envelope for mailing. My grandson sometimes wants them put in his lunchbox. I use cotton batting for them.

Blog Entries
    I saw where someone posted what she called a row quilt. It was a row of 1 pattern & the next row was a different pattern & so on-I'm gonna try that with some of my orphan blocks!

I'd use them for various tote bags, pillows, chair cushions, a bed runner, table runner, a pretty album cover, hot pads/potholders or doll quilts. Lots of little projects. Have a good time with them! :-)
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3