Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orphan Blocks...Suggestions Please >

Orphan Blocks...Suggestions Please

Orphan Blocks...Suggestions Please

Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 AM

Make a cover for a Kendel (I don't have the spelling correct, I'm sure) or a regular paperback book. Make a cover for a journal & include the journal with it for a gift. Make a cover for a sewing machine. A tea cozy, mug rugs. Put on a little girls skirt. Use to make a toy bag/organizer to hang on the back of mom's seat for the kiddies in the back.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 AM

Years ago my DH and I had antique shop spaces - I framed a number of the orphan blocks I had and made some money with those, using very inexpensive frames. You can gift that sort of thing, too, to a friend who likes that look or is a sewer/quilter.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM

You could piece them together to make a table runner and place mats, or as was said before doll quilts, sampler quilts for a throw or lap quilts. When we have movie night I pull out my lap and throw quilts and everyone snuggles up under them and watches the movie. I have also used them for picnic blankets with the grand kids. They love having a picnic. Your ideas are great. Run with it and have fun, Good luck in you choices.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM

To use the ophan blocks to make smaller ones fit in with the largger ones I frame them . the Placemates and pot holders are another way.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Default Orphan blocks

Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
Make small donation quilts for kids, lap quilts for senior homes, small quilts for NICUs (Neonatil Intensive Care Units), they all always can use quilts.
Good suggestions. How about making a sampler quilt to remind you of all those finished quilts who left you with these orphans? You could date the blocks as a permanent reminder of finished projects.
Me, I make smaller lap quilts as suggested above. I get my THRILL from finished quilts!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM

I have put orphan blocks on the back of plain denim shirts....they are very neat there! I have made them into many "mug rug/mug mats" for fun little gifts. Just go find a matching mug, and put a gift card to a local coffee stand in the mug. They are GREAT gifts for coworkers. That's what I did for 10 coworkers last Christmas. It was a huge hit I might add!

My local quilting partner in crime recently took a class about sweatshirts and quilting. I see GREAT potential in using orphan blocks and leftover scraps to make some very nice light weight sweatshirt jackets.

Last edited by Highmtn; 04-08-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM

I often use an orphan block to make a matching carry bag for a gift quilt. It is my great joy to get orphan blocks from others on the board and to use them to create donation quilts. Sometimes when the demand exceeds my ability to produce, it's wonderful to have something to fall back on.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM

I too am interested in using up "orphan" blocks. Thanks for opening this thread.
A friend made the little chicken pin cushion for me, and I love it! It is so cute. I use it to hold just needles - mostly for hand sewing.
Another idea I've used is to make a little framed sign for my sewingroom door. I have an "arty" type block with a beaded dragonfly on it that I wanted to do something with that I would see all the time and enjoy, but would not be handled as it is a bit delicate. Hope this helps. Dianna in ID
Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM

The late great Paul Pilgrim made a habit of collecting orphan blocks and putting them into quilts. Perhaps you can find some pictures on AQS web site.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM

Pick one large size (10 or 12 inch blocks) and add strips to the small ones to make them all the same size and then just put them all in a sampler quilt.