Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Outdated" fabric >

"Outdated" fabric

"Outdated" fabric

Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM

I haven't heard of anyone getting rid of "outdated" fabric, but rather their taste in fabric has changed, either the colors, style, or because of getting older, etc.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM

Isn't it nice that we, as quilter's, are not all 'cut from the same cloth'? That there is as much, if not more, variety in us as people, as there is in the fabrics available for us to use in quilts? We'd be a really boring group making really boring quilts if it were otherwise.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM

I always smile when I see the dated fabrics...one of my very favorite quilts is one my mother made for me many years ago with cardboard templates and poly fabric. It has bright yellows, browns, and oranges in solid colors as well as the small calico prints. She traced each piece with a pencil, cut out with scissors, and sewed them together on her very dated Kenmore. The pattern "Lone Star". Love all the new fabrics, but still love all the vintage goods as well. It's so much fun to share with a group that understands all FABRIC OBSESSIONS even if we don't understand them all. LOL
Old 02-10-2014, 08:46 AM

As far as I can tell...the dated color combos keep showing up down the road. We are dealing with Avocado and whatever they called the gold back in the 60's-70's all over again with new names.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
As far as I can tell...the dated color combos keep showing up down the road. We are dealing with Avocado and whatever they called the gold back in the 60's-70's all over again with new names.
Oh, oh...I remember!! It was called Harvest Gold. Right?

Dina
Old 02-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
And chevron stripes (think 80's afghans) and pukey green.... (my term for the green)....I think coral/peach is beautiful and I'm sure someone somewhere is using it in a quilt.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I love "outdated" fabrics. That is why I go to thrift shops for much of my fabric stash. Going there today to see what I can find. DH is wanting a combo denim/corduroy quilt for the sofa. Another reason I go to estate sales. Picked up a blue wedding dress from the 40s. One thing about the "outdated" is it makes that quilt very "UNIQUE". One will be hardpressed to find any fabric anywhere just like it. I smile when I hear outdated, it's another word for unique.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i think that some fabrics printed at the height of various trends tend to look pretty dated 20 years out. i am thinking of sea foam and peach florals from the 80's, orange, brown and yellow poly prints from the 60's - that kind of thing.

other fabrics - notably calicos, ginghams and plaids - tend to age so much more gracefully. i still love to look of 30's prints and colourways. others must too, because of the vast number of reproductions printed every year.

when i see these teal and pink quilts, or orange, or yellow and grey combos, i tend to think we'll view them as very dated in no long time. i tend to stick with more traditional colourways, both with an eye to the future and based on personal preference.

aileen
Mauve gives me the hives! Remember that mauve and blue that was the rage in home decorating in the early 90"s.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I think what folks see as "dated" is just stuff that is not old enough to be vintage, yet we are just sick of looking at it. I personally don't LOVE eighties fabrics, but maybe that is because that was when I began my foray into quilting and I made a lot of newbie mistakes...so hence the fabric reminds me of that.

The trend in quilting seems to be "Modern" more and more. Maybe that is why older fabrics are less popular. They don't work as well in modern designs.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

I have been purging some of my calicos that I don't seem to use anymore. I use to work at House of Fabric and I spent too much money when calicos were half off and I was able to use my 25% employee discount! Those were the days !!