Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Outdated" fabric >

"Outdated" fabric

"Outdated" fabric

Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Several posters have mentioned getting rid of "outdated" or no longer "fashionable fabric." Some have even given away quilts because they are "outdated." In an age of vintage clothing shops, a seeming obsession with owning a Singer Featherweight, and (in my neck of the woods) an antique shop on every available corner, what is it with "outdated" fabric for quilts? Some fabrics in my stash are at least 40 years old--my mother bought some of them when she was still making garments, and I bought others because they called my name. One of these days those fabrics, which get refolded and petted about twice each year are going into a "vintage" quilt and I dare anyone to say it is "outdated." froggyintexas
This reminds me of a guy complaining about his wife "needing" a new leather coat. Appareantly the button styles had changed and her two year old LEATHER coat would no longer do!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 AM

Hey, if you hang on to it long enough, it will come back into style!!! I recently made casserole carriers for sale. I made one from a scrap that I got from my Mom, she had made me a pair of shorts in 1963! It was the first one to sell, I kinda hated to see it go!!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 AM

The only fabric I've gotten rid of is poorer quality fabric. As for colors, you never know when you'll need just that right shade of a supposedly outdated color to make your quilt pop.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
I have an obsession of owning a Singer Featherweight and my hubby thought he had bought me on but in checking into that beautiful machine it says this one is the sister to the Featherweight. Looks like it has never been used and he gave 20.00 for it at a place where you buy used stuff cheap. It is still in its box.
If that is a Singer 301, you are sitting on a gold mine for a perfect stitch and good FMQ, better than the Featherweight for that. I know because I have one.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 AM

I think it's really easy to not see the potential of things when they're associated with a particular time. I was just talking about 1930s fabric with my grandma. She was saying she thought they looked bland and I was saying that they looked great when she used them as neutrals in what quilts I'd seen with them. As an outsider they were just muted solids with small prints that faded from a distance. I have a orange and grey polyester quilt my grandma made in the 80s and managed to survive childhood because the color pallet was dated. It's now in my living room and looks very fresh and modern now that coral and grey are popular. That seafoam and coral floral someone mentioned seems really hideous now . . . But spend some time looking at modern coral wedding bouquets with succulents and dusty miller and it starts to look different. (a fairly popular color for summer and fall weddings. I'm a floral designer so pardon the niche trend reference)

So I guess what I'm saying is outdated fabric is fabric that you think about in an outdated way and doesn't have to be that way.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:32 AM

I'm outdated, long past the sellby date, so I guess I should be hidden away lest I upset those who want to be in style. For years I've worn the same style of garments, had the same style hair (what's left of it), and had the same household furnishings (I doubt anything in the house qualifies as matching). I laugh every time I hear the seafoam color listed. I have a 3 yd piece of seafoam and a muted green fabric (floral) that I purchased in the early 80's. It's the fabric that brought me into quilting. It still sits in all it's glory with my newer but not better fabric sadly waiting for me to use it. Love the fabric but if I cut it up it's all gone Go vintage!! Joyce in DE
Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. If you don't like the fabric, you haven't cut it up small enough yet.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Right there with ya!!!!! I think it is. Just personal preference......wanting the newest, and I must admit if I had the income I would too!!!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 AM

I wish I had room to keep my "outdated" fabric. I can ally only keep what I'm using right now!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
pw6

fabric never goes out of date as far as I am concerned.. I have fabric from 20+ years that I would not part with at all..