Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Outdated" fabric >

"Outdated" fabric

"Outdated" fabric

Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I think of mauve when I think of outdated fabrics. There are other colors also but remember when everything had mauve in it?
I think our old mauve is our new taupe? Whatdoyouthink? New name to spruce it up.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Alondra
Mauve is not outdated, for goodness sake... it's just another color.
Mauve is FAR from outdated! Pantone just named it color of the year for 2014...they just call it Radiant Orchid instead of Mauve. It's also the color of the first synthetic dye ever produced (1856).
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Boy you are a baby. That's the year I graduated from High School. Wish I had some of these years back.No material is outdated unless it wasn't cared for and is rotting.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 AM

I love mauve - looks good with white hair. Haven't noticed my 70+ year old quilts made by my grandmother being outdated. Still love 'em. Absolutely LOVE 30's fabrics - maybe it's because I was born in 30s?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 AM

If it was good when I bought it, it's still good for me. I really don't care if someone else doesn't like it. I see a lot of quilts made with "new" vintage fabric. What is the difference except in price.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Lots of the new fabric looks like the 60's and 70's psychedelic fabric. I HATED it then and I HATE it now. I prefer older fabric even though I like some of the colors of the present. I am not fond of 30's prints; however, I can appreciate any fabric. When almost any fabric is used in a quilt, it seems to magically become lovely. The strip quilts in this thread are marvelous. I am going to use the 16 patch with mustard accents in a quilt that I was given a box of 2 inch squares. I already have a hundred or more 16 block squares made, and I have been waiting for a pattern to use for them.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=justflyingin;6569787]I had written something similar and then decided to delete it all.

I felt like mine was too snarky. So, I'm glad to see that you wrote my thoughts EXACTLY!

Yeah - "snarky" is the perfect word to describe my little diatribe against "fashionistas". I had an English course at UT one time that was about advertising techniques, and ever since then I've been acutely aware of how various factions are trying to control our thoughts (and our spending) for their own profit. If that makes me snarky - right on! Snarky rules! Ever heard of Edward Bernays? When you hear the word "outdated" applied to fashion or fabric, think "MIND CONTROL".
Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alondra View Post
Mauve is not outdated, for goodness sake... it's just another color. It's pretty evident that we have become a nation of people controlled by the advertising and fashion industries. Who are THEY to tell US what's outdated and what's not? Don't drink the kool-ade, quilters. Go on what you like, not what the industry tells you is fashionable. Their profits depend on your buying what they tell you to think. We need to learn to discern when our thoughts (and our spending) are being controlled by interested parties.

If mauve is outdated, what about puce? <g>
I don't know what "puce" is and have always wondered... but in my world the only fabric that might be considered outdated is any fabric that for some stupid reason, I may have wrapped fish in, last month. That would definitely be outdated. Mwahahahaha!</g>
Old 02-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
According to Wikipedia:
Puce (variant spellings: "puse", "peuse" or "peuce") is a dark red or purple brown color,[SUP][2][/SUP] a brownish purple [SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] or a dark reddish brown.[SUP][5]
[/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puce
Thanks for that, I was going to look it up. Funny, I thought it might be some ugly shade of puke green (and don't get me wrong,I like green) or baby diaper poop but actually could be a very nice shade of purple. always learning something knew is great. thx
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

I know one thing for sure, avocado green and harvest gold appliances WILL come back in style - they will just change the name. ha ha